Chapter Fifty-nine

"Where is Jon?" Arya asked softly as they all sat on the ash covered ground around Jaslins body.

"Inside, dealing with the bitch" Sandor grunted without taking his eyes off Jaslin.

Sansa had not said a word since her heart breaking scream, but now she slowly lifted her eyes to Sandor. The pain not just in his eyes, but across his face was apparent. He had lost the one thing that had kept him going all this time, that had changed him from a dog and into a honorable man.

"What will you do now?" She asked him.

Sandor sighed heavily and closed his eyes tightly, unable to even comprehend an existence without her.

"You still have the child" Davos reminded him, which was still being cradled in Briennes arms.

"We never even named her".

Sansa leant across and placed her hand on the broken man's hand. "When we were little, she would take us on adventures around Winterfell. Making up stories of glanant knights and brave princesses. We would pick thistle flowers from the grounds around the weir wood tree and she would tell us how no matter what we would face in the future, beauty and peace could always be found in the darkest places. You should name her thistle, after he favorite flower and sign of hope. A flower covered in dangerous pikes to protect itself and the beauty it holds".

Slowly, Sandor opened his eyes and nodded

Slowly, Sandor opened his eyes and nodded. "What about you?"

Gently, Sansa leant back and looked over the woman who had been her sister, friend and protector. "I learnt a lot from her. How to be brave and strong, even when everything is against you and the world seems a dark and dangerous place, she always showed us how to keep going, and that's what we will do. Ser Davos?" She announced loudly and stepped up from the ground.

"Yes m'lady".

"Have our men ready for the real last war. I want every unsullied and dothraki raider killed or ran off our lands. Send word that our fight is not over, that we will know peace through all this destruction, that we remain strong. That the North will not forget".

"I will see to Jon, we still have a dragon to think about as well" Arya announced.

"Two have died already, if the last wants more death, let him taste it from our steel. Jaslin will not die for nothing. She has even us the last will we needed to carry on and take back our kingdom from distant queens and Lannisters".

Brienne passed the tiny baby back to Sansa and quickly disappeared with the other two, leaving her alone with Sandor. "Your fight is over. Find peace where you can and know I shall take back revenge for this and your child" she whispered and gently bent down to place the child in Sandors arms.

Over the next fortnight, battle rang on through the city. Jon lead forces through the city and surrounding areas, chasing off any potential threat. Sansa remained in the Red Keep, speaking with Tyrion as they planned the next move, rebuilding. She had also organised for Sandor to head to Dorne. Jaslin had always wanted to visit Dorne after the wars and perhaps send the rest of her days in the warm sun. As the Dornish had joined in the fight to take back the Kingdom, they had of course do as she asked, providing Sandor and Thistle a place to recover and grieve in grand comfort.

It was another moon, before the remaining rebels and lingering unsullied fighters had been removed. Years of fighting had come to end, and the Kingdom felt lighter instantly. Jon had quickly returned to the Red Keep afterwards to met with Sansa, Arya, Bran and the other member of their newly formed small council.

"Sandor and the child?" He asked straight away upon his return.

"Have been well seen to in Dorne" Sansa smiled.

"Has there been any news of the Dragon?" Arya asked.

"Not since I killed Daenerys and he flew off with her body".

"Well, we must now discuss the matter of Ruler. As Rhaegar Targaryen last living son, you are the rightful heir to the Kingdom" Tyrion announced.

"And the rightful heir has always been so good for the people. No, that is not something I want nor will accept" Jon disagreed and shock his head.

"But Jon, you are the heir. If not you, then who?" Sansa gasped.

"You have grown up into the strongest person I know. When we all fell to our grief at the loss of Jaslin and the ash that covered the city, it was you that remained strong. It was you that lead the forces in the last war and brought peace among the kingdom. You have known more pain and suffering at the hands of others more than anyone else here. Yet still you are good and true. The daughter of Ned Stark. I cannot think of any other person best to the job".

Sansa gasped again and stepped back from the council table to walk over to the window.

"He is right. Not only have you lead our forces, but brought hope and plans in how we can rebuild from such destruction" Tyrion agreed.

"Jaslin... jaslin brought hope. It is she who has given the strength to do so. If not for her I-"

"Jaslin paid dearly for that. You know as well as anyone, if she was here right now, it would be you she would want as Ruler" Arya interrupted.

"And what about Winterfell? The north?"

"I was never made to be a lady of lands and people and it is not something Bran wishes for either. There must always be a Stark at Winterfell though" Arya smiled and turned to Jon. "I true northerner, man of the people and war hero. That is who should look after the North".

"You said it yourself. You belong to the North" Davos added.

"I would only take on that honor if asked to by my queen" Jon whispered and looked over to Sansa.

"Then together we shall ensure peace. From the North to South. Our Kingdom shall never know a horror such as this again" Sansa smiled.

A.N - just wanted to add a little note, I chose the name Thistle as it is the national flower of Scotland and a little shout out to the actor Rory McCann ;)