Chapter Twenty

The day had finally arrived, the day Jaslin and Sansa had been praying for. Stannis had arrived at Blackwater Bay with a 100 ships, ready to sack the city and take the throne. Something which Jaslin had not thought about was the fact that this now meant Sandor would have to fight, and potentially not come back. 

Jaslin had not seen Sandor since the night before, when she woke he had already left for the day, and as word spread of the ships approaching, Jaslin began to fear that she would not see him again. The ladies, children and elderly of the Red Keep had been sent deep within the castle walls, to wait out the battle as their men fought with their lives. Their accommodation was nice enough, with plenty of food and drink, but nothing could stop the sense of fear in everyone. 

Back outside on the wall of the keep Sandor had just been shown the wildfire which the imp had planned to use against Stannis and his men. Sandor hated the idea, using the madness of the fire would stop the enemy, but also but the life of the king guards and their soldiers at great risk. Tyrion had been put in charge of strategy though, as the acting hand of the king whilst his father fought the north, it was his role. 

"If any of those flaming fucking arrows come near me, I'll strangle you with your own guts" Sandor hissed at one of the archers as he prepared to march on the sandy beach of Blackwater Bay. 

As the archers prepared to release their arrows, Stannis and 30 row boats filled with men reached the shore and charged towards the walls. The flaming arrows soon flew through the night sky like shooting stars, descending into the unsuspecting bodies of the Stannis men. 

Meanwhile Sandor and this group of men charged out of the gates. "If any man dies with a clean sword, I rape his fucking corpse" he roared. 

Meanwhile, back within the relative safety of the keep, Queen Cersi sat with her daughter and younger son. She had not stopped drinking since she arrived and gave little comfort to the other ladies who sat around praying for their men. 

"Lady Jaslin, come here" Cersi announced loudly with a drink filled of wine. 

Jaslin had been sat with Sansa, praying for their secret desire but also for Sandor, when Cersi spoke. Sansa had looked over scared at first, but Jaslin gave her a reassuring smile and slowly walked over to the Queen. 

"What are you doing?" Cersi asked with amusement when Jaslin finally came to stand in front of Cersi. 

"Praying my queen" Jaslin answered, looking directly at her. 

"You're perfect aren't you. Praying. What are you praying for? That Stannis will take the city and save you and sweet Sansa, for the dog we all know you secretly love or for your king?"

"For the gods to have mercy on us all". 

"Oh, on all of us? Even me? Even Joffrey?" 

"Of course your grace".

Cersi let out a slow smile and ordered for her maid to pour another glass. "Come on, sit, drink, it may the last time two clever liars such as ourselves get chance too". 

"I can't bare being shut up in here. I would much rather face 1000 men than be stuck with this flock of frightened hens. I know you will feel the same way, my brother told me of your fighting skill. Perhaps we should have both been born men, I doubt any of this fucking mess would have occurred if we were".

"Men act for duty and honor... and ego. It blinds them, but we have to have faith that their heart is in the right place" Jaslin shrugged as she took a deep gulp from the glass. 

"Yes and if my monstrous little brother fails us all, the red keep will only last for a while. I'll be sent out to speak with Stannis, try to come to some sort of arrangement. If it had been any other man, I perhaps could at least expect a private audience, but noooo, not Stannis. I'd have a better chance at seducing his horse. Tears aren't a woman only weapon, the best ones between your legs, but I don't need to tell you that do I Jaslin Clegane" she smirked as she waved her wine around. 

Suddenly one of the Lannister guard came marching into the room. "Your grace, your grace" he panted. 

"What, what news is it?" Cersi questioned fiercely. 

"Lord Tyrion has set the water afire, destroying the Stannis fleet".

"Why that is good news" Cersi smiled and looked over to Jaslin.

"Yes, but Stannis and half of his men have charged upon the shore. They are now just outside the city walls".

"Where is Joffrey" Cersi questioned more quietly now as she stepped down to the guard. 

"On the battlements with Lord Tyrion".

"Bring him back inside, at once". 

As Cersi began to argue with the guard, Jaslin quickly pulled Sansa and her trusted handmaid Shae aside. "Return to your room. Block the door and do not open it for anyone. I will find you later on".

"But-" Sansa whispered.

"No buts child. Go now, whilst we still can". 

Back outside the walls of the red keep, Sandor and his men were being slaughtered by Stannis and his army. Sandor quickly ordered his men back within the walls, they were doing no good out here, dropping like flies as fires moved onto the shore. 

"Someone bring me a drink" Sandor ordered as he tired to calm himself once back within the walls. A steward quickly passed him a skin and Sandor took a long gulp. 

"Fuck the water, bring me wine" Sandor cursed as he spat the water out and the terrified steward quickly nodded and ran off to find the wine. 

"Can I get you some iced milk as well" Tyrion hissed as he appeared at his side. 

"Eat shit dwarf" Sandor grunted with blood and sweat dripping from his frowned brow.

"You're on the wrong side of the wall".

"I lost half my men, the blackwaters on fire" he replied with an almost dead tone of voice as his mind instantly went to Jaslin.

"DOG I COMMAND YOU TO GO BACK OUT THERE" Joffrey ordered, but with the voice of a scared young boy. 

"Fuck the kings guard, fuck the city and fuck the king".

Inside the corridors of the Red Keep, Jaslin ran towards the exit of the keep. As she neared the exit way, she was quickly stopped when an arm reached out from the darkness and pulled her to the side.

"What are you doing woman" Sandor hissed. 

Breathing a deep and long sigh of relief, Jaslin turned around and buried her face in his chest. He was obviously shaken up, as although he was looking at her, his eyes were distant and he didn't seem truly there. 

"They said Stannis had reached the walls and the water was on fire. I... I was looking for you. If Stannis sacks the city, he'll kill you".

"Aye, that's why were leaving. Now" Sandor announced and grabbed her by the arm and quickly began to lead her down another corridor. 

"No, No, if the King finds out you left during the battle and then they defeat Stannis. No you can't leave, not yet. Plus, I won't leave without Sansa, I won't leave her here" Jaslin argued and pulled her arm from his grasp.

"It's too late, this is our only chance. We have to leave right now". 

"No. I'm not going, not without Sansa".

"Yes you are woman. I'm doing what I promised, keeping you safe".

"I'm not leaving Sandor".

As Sandor glared at Jaslin, they both overheard a passing guard shout out. "Lord Tywin has arrived. We might just survive this yet". 

Jaslin could tell Sandor had slipped back into this own thought as his grip on her arm released. Taking her chance, she took one last look at Sandor and quickly bolted down the corridor, making several quick turns and then down a swirl of stairs. Before Sandor could even realize it, Jaslin was completely out of sight, and now he had a choice to make. If Tywin had truly arrived, Stannis and his army would be dead before nightfall, then a price would be put on Sandors head for his words and actions during the battle, he would be no good to Jaslin with his head on a spike. The thought of leaving her alone, surrounded by Lannister was also a depressing thought, but even as an outlaw he had better chance of helping her than he would if we was dead. So in that moment, Sandor made his choice.