Isolation

They'll be better off without me.

That's what Louie thought when he first started the runaway fund. He pulled a couple of dollar bills from every con and tucked it away in a place not even his brothers knew about.

He knew the risks of doing this, how would they react if they find it? Would they be furious? Would they push him away?

Louie hoped he would never find out, but luck wasn't in his cards.

"What is this?" Huey asked, breaking Louie out of the tv show he was watching. He turned to face his brother whom was dangling an manilla envelope in his face. It took him a minute to recognize it and the childlike scribbles of 'runaway fund' on it.

Originally the package was hidden in the floorboards beneath the booth-table back on the houseboat, but when they moved into the manor he moved it to under his mattress. It must've managed to worm it's way to the edge of the bed during the night. Oh god, why didn't he check?

Louie backed up, like a scared child. "Huey, I can explain-"

"You better!" Dewey snapped, from the other end of the couch, startling the youngest triplet even more. "I can't believe you were planning on running away!"

"It's not-"

"We're your brothers, your family!" Huey interrupted, eyes blazing. "How could you do that to us? How could you leave us?"

"I was only going to leave so none of you would have to deal with me anymore!" Louie shouted, stunning his brothers. He covered his beak, tears pricking at the corners of his eyes. He didn't mean to admit that.

"Louie..." he snapped his gaze up to the doorway where Donald, Scrooge, and Webby and Lena stood, all looking sad and hurt.

Louie pulled on his hood, heart aching. He didn't want to hurt his family like that. This is why he should keep his mouth shut, say nothing and he wouldn't hurt anybody. This is why he should runaway. They would be better off if he was gone.

Huey was the first to hug him, tears pouring down his cheeks. He felt Louie tense up, confused, and he nuzzled his brother's head. "Oh Louie... we love you... you're our baby brother." At that Dewey joined the hug, reaching for Louie's hand.

"But..." Louie blinked back his tears. "I make a mess out of everything."

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard," Dewey whispered, any cutting edge gone from his voice. "You do not make a mess out of anything."

Suddenly there was another set of arms around him. "Everybody makes mistakes, Louie!" Webby. He tries to lean into her arms, but he's pretty much stuck. He doesn't mind.

There is a hand on his shoulder now, too small to be his uncles... Lena? "Green, that's a mood, but you're wanted here."

Scrooge and Donald's hands were on his shoulder now, but they were silent. A silent comfort.

Louie just absorbed all of the love he was getting, feeling light-hearted for the first time in forever. Maybe now he could use that money for something else? Something more meaningful.

Something for himself, of course.