I Know

Donald may be oblivious at times but he knew when something was up with one of his boys. They had just turned seven and money was tighter than ever. He could barely manage to buy all of them one shared present. He felt awful about it.

But not as awful as Louie did, he noticed.

Louie was mad at himself. Just a few weeks before his birthday, he got sick and all the money Donald saved for their birthday was spent on his hospital bills. He was the worst.

Dewey didn't say it, but he knew his brother blamed him. He had a right to. If Louie was gone, they wouldn't have these problems.

The day after their birthday, Louie skipped breakfast, opting to stay in their small, shared room instead. He knew food cost money so if he stops eating so much, then Donald would have money right?

He thought the plan was flawless and full-proof.

Until Donald sat down on the edge of his bed, a plate of food on his lap at lunch-time. Louie tried to skip lunch, but now with his uncle in his room, he couldn't.

"Louie," Donald said, voice soft. "Skipping meals isn't going to help our situation." he chuckles sadly at Louie's surprised expression. "I know you think it's your fault, but it's not, remember that."

Louie just nods, knowing if he pretends to agree, it will end the conversation quicker.

"Good, now eat your food before it gets cold."