Part 2

"Stop moping

"Stop moping."

He had to hand it to Matthew, after his order to Jay, he tried to duck.

Dude wasn't very skilled, and Jay's punch still caught him in the upper part of his arm.

The guy whined like he'd just been murdered.

"Jees.... us Christ that hurt. Oh my God!"

Jay rolled his eyes. He must like the guy because one, he didn't even hit him very hard and two; he didn't hit him again for the whining.

"I think you broke something."

"Your pride?" He couldn't hide his smirk.

"So funny. Where's your pride in picking on someone your own size?"

He couldn't help but roll his eyes again. "We are nearly the same size."

"Yeah well, he's not, so stop shooting daggers his way. He could so hurt you. Plus, he's grieving, and it doesn't look good for you to be wanting to kill him right now. Everyone thinks you're an ass."

Since he was right, Jay didn't punch him again. He took a deep breath and looked away from the damn guy pawing his girl.

He could give a flying fuck what everyone thought about him, but he did care what she thought. If Matthew could pick up on his vibe, then she would too.

The fact the guy in question was in so much pain was the only reason he wasn't choking on Jay's fist. That and Matthew was right. Seth could wipe the floor with him with one of his muscle arms tied behind his back if he wanted to.

"I don't know what the deal is. Everyone knows the girl is crazy about you."

Yeah, and everyone also knew Seth was still in love with Paisley. Everyone knew that they'd still be together if Jay hadn't come back to town. Excuse him if that bothered him. He never said he was a good guy.

"I can't begin to understand what he's going through. Mia and he were very close. He practically raised her. I heard his parents barely stayed for the funeral before they were off to wherever it is that they go."

Jay knew exactly what Seth was going through. He also knew that the only reason Seth was hanging on was for Paisley's sake. The poor dude didn't want to hurt her any more than she already was.

In the two months since the cops found Mia's body, Paisley has been grieving too, and like Seth, she blamed herself for all of it.

Jay was helping all he could, but she'd made him promise in the very beginning that he wouldn't help so much that it stopped her from grieving. She felt she owed it to Mia. Felt she owed it to Seth.

"Don't look!"

Of course, that's exactly what he did. Just in time to see Seth take Paisley's face in his hands and kiss her softly.

Growling under his breath, he punched Matthew in the other arm. This time harder. "That's for telling me to not look."

The boy opened his mouth in a silent scream as he grabbed his arm.

It wasn't that he had just witness such a tender scene; it was that he could feel how much they meant to each other. He could feel how much the other boy wanted more.

Jay stared at his back and dared him to do more.

"Fucking.... shit.... oh my god. Shitting fuck. Stop taking your shit out on me."

"No one asked you to stick around."

"I don't bale on friends."

"We aren't friends."

"Sure, we are. I'm the only one you have." He rubbed his arm and looked around the cafeteria at everyone looking their way. "The only one you'll ever have."

Paisley's eyes met his, as she nodded at something Seth said.

Sorry. It was in her eyes, in her heart.

Somehow or another he offered a small smile.

"I swear to God you broke this one."

"You need to learn how to fight." He said distracted.

"Why?"

That got his complete attention. "Why? So people don't hurt you. Everyone should know how to handle themselves. You're too trusting."

"Naw. People are mostly good. They_____."

"No, they aren't. Are you insane? Just look around you. Mia is dead. Someone tried to hurt Paisley. Everyone is hurting. Everyone. That's the world we live in."

"They're hurting because they care. Because they're good."

Jay grunted. "There's still too many people who aren't good. They're everywhere. Better to trust no one."

"Or to trust everyone."

He sneered. "Spoken like a boy who hasn't known a moment of pain."

Matthew smiled sadly. "I guess I'm just better at hiding it than you are." When the bell rang, he reached for his things.

Jay ran his fingers through his short hair. "For some reason I can't read you as well as I can other people. I'll be nicer." He nearly choked on those last words.

Matthew beamed, any trace of unease leaving his eyes. "I knew I would grow on you."