Part 60

Hearing the gravel crunch behind her, she turned and hit him with her fist

  Hearing the gravel crunch behind her, she turned and hit him with her fist. Once she got started, she didn't want to stop.

  She hit him until her hands hurt then she backed away and took a deep breath. "I told you to get rid of that."

  "I have to protect you."

  She hated his voice. She hated him. "I loved him, and you took him away from me. I wish you would just go away."

  "That man wants to hurt you. I have to stay close and I need the gun."

  "I hate you."

  "I know."

  Twirling around, she marched to the last travel trailer on the right and she started shoving her stuff into her bag. It was time to move on, and it was time to lose her dead weight.

  He was already in the back seat of the minivan when she came out.

  Growling, she threw her stuff into the passenger seat then she climbed in, cranked it, then gunned it.

  She was nearly outside of town before she did a quick U-turn. She didn't want to head to the next town. Nowhere was where she needed to go.

  She'd been driving for over half an hour with no lights in sight before she pulled off on the side of the road and started beating the steering wheel.

  He left her. He promised he wouldn't and then he did.

  She's spent most of her life missing him and waiting for him to come back to her. How was she supposed to give up on him?

  Once the tears came, they wouldn't stop. Huge defeated sobs shook her whole body until she couldn't do anything more than crumble in on herself.

  She was still out of her mind with grief, when the door next to her opened and Jay's killer lifted her into his arms. She cried harder.

  Her heart crying out for its missing pieces. Her soul crying for its other half.

  She cried for smaller arms that should be wrapped around her offering her comfort. Arms that would offer her love, arms that knew how to take away the pain.

 The arms that carried her were stronger, and they left her laying in the back of the van with nothing to hold on to but an old sleeping bag.