Part 44

  He knew she understood his reluctance. The more urgent the pull became, the scarier the situation seemed. They were running out of time. Soon he would have to face the unknown.

  Soon he would have the answers whether he was ready for them or not.

  And she knew that he wasn't ready. He'd never be ready.

  Let's piece together what we know.

  It can't be good.

 We don't know that for sure. We know that you are somehow connected to AJ and her group.

  Your mom wants to know if we want tacos for dinner. I know you don't, but I also know that she's already started cooking.

  "Sure, mom. Can you make your homemade salsa? Jay likes it better than the jar stuff. And remember he'd rather die than eat________."

  "Sour cream. Yes, I know. He made enough noise about it last time."

  We know they have the same abilities as you.

  Minus a few. Some of them can read thoughts, some just feelings. AJ and her twin can talk to each other, but no one else can.

Except for you and Mack.

None of them can command anyone to do their bidding and we know AJ is completely immune to me.

 We know none of them have the answers except for maybe AJ. They believe in mates.

  And that about covers it.

  We know that they left over the weekend and came back with a new kid. So, for some reason they are recruiting people.

  He got a bad vibe off the guy, even worse than with the others.

  He smirked as Paisley ignored Ruby talking to her. She did that to many people these days. When Ruby looked at him, he smiled. "Sure. I don't pass up booze."

  "It's nonalcoholic, Jay. Stop picking on Ruby."

  "What would be the fun in that?" He took the offered drink. It looked like a margarita, taste like one, minus the good stuff. Offering him a nonalcoholic drink was humorous. He's probably drunk more in his life than either of these women.

  I don't know about that. Ruby had some pretty wild parties in college. I'm hoping she'll rub off on mom some. My mom wouldn't know a real party if it bit her on the butt. We also know that you and me bonding has not changed whatever you have with Mack.

  We have nothing and you wouldn't know a party if it bit you on the butt. Butt? I think we're old enough to say ass.

  You know what I mean. Paisley pushed away her schoolbooks and all pretense of studying. She can still talk to you.

  For now, but she has to work hard at it.

  And you still can't make her do something she doesn't want to do.

  That's true enough. She'd be in Mexico if it wasn't. Doesn't matter, anyway. She knows that nothing can come between us now.

  Paisley looked up at her mom as an onion was pushed in front of her for the second time. Mack's still hopeful. A tiny bit. Mostly she's confused on how any of this could be happening. She feels like it should be different.

  "Sorry, Dougie. She'll get a better handle on all of it. I'll cut it up for her?"

  Paisley placed her hand over his. You wouldn't be the boy I love if you didn't feel a little guilty that we are so happy, and she can't be.

  He kissed her hand before going to work on the onion.

  Once we know what's going on maybe, we'll be able to help her move on.

  They would know soon. In the next few days. It's a feeling they both had.

  Put all this on the back burner and spend some time with your mom before she thinks I've highjacked your mind.

  She's no better than me! She doesn't have more than two thoughts before she's thinking about Ruby's perfect smelling hair. Or her perfect happy smile.

  He could feel how happy the thought made her. Seeing her mom so interested in someone pleased her. She wanted her mom to have the kind of happiness they had.