Part 53

The calling was a giant field, miles and miles from anything

  The calling was a giant field, miles and miles from anything. Hundreds and hundreds of people mulled around waiting for it to begin.

  Feeling Paisley's upset he put his arm around her and guided her through the people.

  She was expecting a smaller group.

  What she couldn't grasped is that this was just the first wave. By now the second wave would be children. The third wave would have just been born, or they were in the womb.

  He calmed her before she could get overwhelmed.

  "Are your brothers here? Shouldn't we_______."

  "No. If we are together everyone here will know who we are. We're too strong together. This way the only people who know who I am is AJ's group and maybe they will keep their damn mouths shut."

  He found them a spot off to the side and as far in the back as he could and still be able to observe everything.

  In the center of the group was a large, raised dais and upon that four thrones.

  "My brothers will be nearby but it's better if no one knows who they are."

  "Feel anything about Echo yet? Could he be here?"

  "He's not."

  "That could mean anything."

  Not really. It meant he was lost to them or he wasn't born yet. Even her love wrapping around him wasn't enough to help against his feeling of loss. He squeezed her hand before she could become upset by it. "Let's deal with one thing at a time."

  She pointed towards the thrones. "How was______."

  "Jumpers. None of this would be possible without them. Instead of finding bodies to take over they continually jump from body to body. They're also the ones who messed the fuck up."

  She hugged his arm.

  "I'm not complaining." He made sure she knew that.

  The last thing that should be on his mind right now was how beautiful his girl was, but that's exactly what he was thinking as she smiled up at him. Just in jeans and a black t-shirt she was still easily the best-looking girl around.

  Her hair was still pink with black tips and covered with a baseball cap. She wore no makeup, but her cheeks were flushed from the heat.

  I'm unable to comprehend the inner workings of______.

  Give it a rest. You won't be able to understand until you have a girl of your own.

  God forbid.