Part 61

It was long after dawn before she could pull herself together long enough to question how she was able to cry

  Why was she not okay?

  No one could break free of one of Jay's commands.

  She reached for his shadowy figure before she caught herself. When her hand touched nothing, her heart cracked wide open leaving her broken and empty.

 Movement across the room drew her attention.

  Jay's killer sat in a chair facing the front door of the motel room. His gun in his hand, his eyes on the door like he was afraid someone would walk in at any second.

  Feeling her glance, he looked her way for a moment. "He's out there. Can you feel him?"

  The jerk from the bar. She didn't have to feel him to know he was out there. She'd been able to feel his intentions last night. He didn't like a woman standing up to him. The only good woman was a dead woman.

  She'd barely thought her next thought before the shadowy Jay lying next to her grew more solid. Maybe it was her mind playing tricks on her, but he seemed angry that she would think about letting that jerk get to her.

  "It's not like you have a say anymore. You left me."

  He blinked a few times then faded away.

  "I didn't mean it. Come back."

  He didn't, but she closed her eyes so she could still feel him. What am I supposed to do without you?

  When she opened her eyes this time Jay was still missing but his green-eyed man was standing beside her bed.

  He looked weak. His eyes hazy and unfocused.

  When she reached for him, he didn't disappear, and images filled her head. He was alone and lost too.

  "Where are we?" 

  "About an hour outside of Miami."

  Dragging herself out of bed, she headed for the bathroom. "We're leaving in ten."

  "What are we going to do about the asshole?"

  "We'll deal with him when we get to him."