Part 54

As soon as he stepped forward, they looked him over with a look of disgust and began to discuss how to fix the issue

  I don't need fixed. I'm quite pleased with my scrawny good looks.

  Unacceptable.

  Mated to one of them no less.

  A disgrace and a failure.

  I want to know who is responsible and I want to know right now. Get me information on this girl and see if she's even needed.

  Jay stiffened. She's needed, and you say something like that again and you will start flapping your arms and trying to fly.

  They finally grew silent and the one he had just warned off, stood.

  You would threaten me?

  You are smart, but just in case, let me be clearer. Anyone even thinks about hurting her and I won't think twice about scrambling your brains.

  The man's eyes narrowed, and he sat back down.

  They have corrupted him.

  What is our protocol for this situation?

  The only ones immune to him are the guardians and the pantomath, have them at ready.

  Do your brothers stand with you?

  They do.

  Yet, they don't come forward.

  They will if needed.

  You would pick this girl over your own people?

  She is my people.

  Even as he talked, Paisley's information was being fed to them from all the prophets joining forces. His whole life was replaying for them in their heads. 

  Jumpers or guardians were circling him and Paisley.

  Not feeling like he was being taken seriously, he sent a command to the last president to start undressing and dancing.

  Everyone went silent again.

  That will be enough.

  Smirking, Jay pointed at the man already missing his shirt and shoes. I think this is just getting interesting.

  Call him off.

  Call off your men.

  Instantly, they stopped.

  He commanded the dancer to sit and remain silent.

  How could you want to mate with these people after the life you've had? Your life proves that these imbeciles don't deserve this planet.

  These imbeciles are your forefathers. Was the life you offered me any better?

  We honored you.

  I was trapped in a four-room cell where I worked twenty hours a day.

  What do you want from us?

  Nothing. Let us go. I want no part of what you're doing.

  It was your plan.

  It's not without its mistakes. He admitted.

  It's your job to fix it.

  Me and my brothers are out.

  That is impossible.

  That is impossible.

  That is impossible.

  The one who looked at Paisley in disgust got up and started dancing and stripping.

 That is enough. Stop him!

  The one who utter that command went down on all fours and started acting like a dog, then dragging Paisley with him, he rushed towards the only president still in his right mind.

  "If you don't want them to stay like this call off your goons."

  You can't expect us to stand idly by why you destroy everything. It's not too late to fix this.

  The plan can still work. You're right it's not too late. It's taking longer than we expected but all is not a complete lost.

  The president held up his hand stopping everyone coming at them, so Jay released the other presidents.

  What do we have to do?

  Jay looked down at Paisley. He would gladly sacrifice this world for her, but he knew her. She couldn't live with what that would entitle.

  Innocent lives would just be the beginning.

  She trusted him to do the right thing.

  Do it. Take her out.

  At the command, Jay didn't even think about it, he freed the highjacked body and left the mind with nowhere to go. Without a pod nearby the president would die within moments.

  In the next breath, he scanned the crowd looking for the threat.

  Jay!

  At Mack's alert, he turned and saw a smoking gun pointed at Paisley. 

  He couldn't stop a bullet. Screaming out a command for everyone to get down, Paisley and everyone else had no choice but to drop to the ground.

  His only thoughts and concerns were for her as he was hit by the bullet meant for her and he went to his knees.

  Her cries were full of anguish as she crawled to his side. Falling, she went with him.

  "Jay! No. No. Please no."

  She tried to stop the blood flow, but it was already everywhere.

  You imbecile that isn't what we wanted. Get the girl.

 Weakened, he reached out and touched the boy who had just shot him before he could get to Paisley, then he laid his hand over hers. "Be okay. Once I'm gone if.... if you can't be happy at least be okay."

  "You have to be okay. Please, don't leave me."

  He turned towards his killer. "Get her out of here. From this moment on, the only reason you live is to keep her safe."

  "Someone help. Someone____."

  She started screaming and fighting as she was lifted, and she didn't stop fighting until his last breath left his body.