Part 3

As soon as she left the lunchroom, she went to where he was waiting and right into his arms

Seth's pain overwhelmed her. Everyone's did, but his more so since she cared for him so deeply.

After a few moments she took a deep breath. "I know I asked you to not do too much, but he's not doing well, Jay. I'm worried about him. He feels...."

The tears that leaked from her eyes broke his heart. He brushed them away and used his abilities to ease some of her pain. "I'll help."

She sighed again, her arms tightening around his waist. "I love you, Jay. I hate hurting you more than I hate anything."

"I'm just a moron. Don't mind me."

Her eyes were still shining with unshed tears when she looked up and smiled at him. "That's true enough. Otherwise, you'd know that you have nothing to worry about. You're my forever, Jay. Even you said that our bond couldn't be undone."

That was true. They have always had some sort of bond that allowed each other to know where the other is. To know how the other is doing but now that connection was even stronger.

She was changing. He's always been able to read people's thoughts. It was something he hated. Something few knew about, and he always tried to keep his sneaking around in people's minds down to a minimum.

With Paisley that wasn't easy. They were so connected it took more effort to not know what she was thinking. And now it was becoming the same for her.

She was beginning to pick up on some of his thoughts. Only a few times so far but how long till that changed? When they kissed for the first time, they became a part of one another. Bonded in a way that can't be undone.

That was bound to have an effect on her. Her being able to pick up on some thoughts here and there might only be the beginning.

And talk about scare the shit out of him. His mind was like a fucking war zone. No one ever needed to know how screwed up he was, especially the girl he was in love with.

Now he spent just as much time trying to keep Paisley out of his mind as he spent trying to stay out of everybody else's.

He grunted knowing she'd already picked up on his worry. "I'm just waiting for you to come to your senses and realize that you can do so much better than me."

"There's no one better than you, Jay. One day I will make you realize that."

She bombarded him with so much love that it shocked him for a moment. Not because she loved him, he knew that, but how much still surprised him every time she did this.

God, he loved her and he so didn't deserve her.

Paisley used his shock to ease out of his arms with a coy smile.

The minx knew exactly what she did to him.

He watched her walk away with a pleased sigh. It was good to see her in a teasing mood. They happen so rarely these days. For the moment she was just a girl flirting with her boyfriend.

She wasn't the girl grieving. She wasn't the girl trying to help a friend find a reason to go on without his sister. Not the girl who had escaped the very same monster who took her friend's life.