Part 36

  No chance in hell.

  Some of the dread in her stomach eased. That was good to know.

  She wished she was one of those people who could rant and rave and call him every name in the book until she felt better, but she couldn't. Other than stubborn she couldn't think of one ill thing to say about him.

  Stubborn. And scared. How could he not have trust issues after everything he's been through?

  He was strong and brave, and the only Achilles heel he had, was her. His need to protect her at all cost. Could she really be mad at him for that?

  Especially since he was fighting a losing battle? There was only so much longer that he could keep his secrets and that was the root of their problem. The closer they got, the more he panicked.

  Regardless of all that, she knew jumping ship no longer crossed his mind. He could no sooner leave her than she could leave him.

  She didn't care how much trouble Mack and her rat pack caused.

  Seeing Seth, she gave a sad little wave and got in his car. "I'm surprised to see you. Glad, but surprised."

  "I have to go to school to collect my stuff and since I was waiting until this morning to tell the rest of the gang I'm leaving, Jackson thought nothing about calling to tell me you needed a ride."

  "Thanks for coming. I had already calmed down and was fixing to call for help."

  He looked tired but not as tired as she's gotten used to seeing him.

  He stole a look at her before putting his eyes back on the road. "I feel like I should apologize again."

  "Don't. It's already forgotten. I mean it, Seth. Don't give it another thought." She took his hand into hers. "All I care about is you getting better and coming home as soon as possible. Jay and I both want that."

  She felt his unease and she could feel that he had a battle going on inside of him. "If you want to say something then say it, Seth, but I should warn you that you might not like my answer."

  "He's different, Pais. He's not like me and you."

  "I know." She admitted softly. "I know everything about him that I need to know."

  "Are you sure you're safe_____."

  "Completely." She gave his hand a squeeze then let go of it so he could park. "You don't have to worry about me."

  "Is there anything I can say or do that would change your mind about him?"

  Her heart broke at the hope that came alive in his chest as he asked that question. She never wanted to hurt him, but she knew right now that he needed her honesty more than he needed anything else. "No, Seth. He's my forever. I love you, I always will but he's my forever."

  "Because I was stupid enough to screw it up?"

  "No, because you were smart enough to know that something was missing between us. I didn't know it until I had Jay back, and he showed me. One day someone will show you too."

  When he looked at her, the depth of his love was staggering. "You're wrong. You're my forever."

  "Don't say that. You don't know_____."

  "But I do." He gave her a sad smile. "No tears, Paisley. I love you enough to want you to be happy. Even if that means you being with him." Tenderly, he wiped the tears from her cheek. "Don't forget me."

  "Never."

 "Will you come with me to say goodbye to my friends?"

  She nodded causing more tears to fall to her cheeks.

  His heart caught at the sight and he ran his eyes over her face hoping to remember how she looked in this moment. He caught a lock of her hair and pulled on it playfully. "'Surprisingly, I like the new look."

 "Me too." She sighed. "Next time you see me it should be back to normal. It's growing fast and Jay says if I ever dye my hair again, he'll beat me."

  "He doesn't like the tougher looking you?"

  "He doesn't like me changing to become what I think he likes. He just wants me to be me."

  "Maybe this is the new you."

  "Maybe."

  The smile he gave her this time was stronger. "Ready to face everyone?"

  "I'm not ready to lose you and they won't be either."

  "You're not losing me. I just need to get a way for a while."

  "Promise?"

  "Promise."

  Biting her lip, she nodded and dried her face. "Okay, then. I can do this."