Part 8

Like he always did, as soon as they sat at her mom's dinner table, Jay moved his chair as close to hers as he could

Here lately Jack and Lisa have been eating over here for family meals. Her mom and Jay's parents have become close in the last few weeks and even though her mom didn't cook often when she did it was always amazing.

Kels' friend needed no encouragement. As soon as the food hit the table, he started devouring it. Luckily, that is when Kels and Matthew came in, so he never even noticed their unkept appearance.

Her mom did, and she cocked an eyebrow in Jay's direction.

"I'm as innocent as can be, Dougie. You'll notice that I don't have my tongue in your daughter's mouth."

Seeing her mom's wince, Paisley hid a smile. Her boyfriend loved to rattle her mom's cage and by the look her mom was sending him right now you wouldn't know it, but she loved him to pieces.

Stud never spoke, not even through introductions. Matthew was so nervous and uncomfortable that he looked like he was in physical pain. He answered any direct questions, but he wasn't good for much else. He also kept sneaking glances at the girl sitting next to him, but Stud was still too busy eating to notice.

Kels pretended to be delighted to be here but the only thing she was really feeling was curiosity and irritation.

She knew Jay could feel it as well, and he kept trying to catch the other girl's eye, but Kels was making sure to not make eye contact with him.

"It's always nice to meet friends of Jay's."

"Enjoy it, Dougie. My only friends are sitting at this table and I'm not talking about Stud there on the end."

The other guy didn't even look up from his plate.

"Will you be staying the night? I could fix you a bed and Stud could stay over with Jay."

Paisley bit her lip to keep from chuckling over the way her mom had said Stud.

She would have managed to contain her mirth if Stud hadn't finally looked up from his plate so he could send Kels a desperate plead in his eyes.

She laughed.

Smirking, Jay moved closer to her.

Any time she smiled or laughed these days his heart always gave a leap and she knew he wished those kinds of moments could come more often and last longer.

His need to be closer didn't go unnoticed by Kels. "We'll pass and grab a motel when we're too tired to go on. We have to get back before my mom notices I'm gone."

"That's too bad. I know Lisa was hoping to see you."

"I'm not much of a parent person." She cut her heavily black eyeliner eye towards Jay. "Last I knew Jay wasn't either."

Not one person at the table missed the bite to her words except for maybe Stud.

Jay stared at his friend hard, waiting for her to look at him but Kels kept her eyes on her.

"Vanilla, mind if I call you that? It seems like you're_____."

"Kels, don't."

Not too many people would have ignored his warning but Kels had no issue doing so.

"Having a huge effect on my boy here. I'm not too sure how I feel about that. I hardly recognized him today."

Paisley laced her fingers with Jay's and sent him a plead to not get upset. She's just worried about you. I can't be upset with her about that and you shouldn't be either.

No way she's getting away with dishing you.

She made sure he could feel all of her love. One reason you love her so much is because she doesn't take crap from anybody. Let her have your back. I can handle it.

I love you but all I have to do is demand she gets a better attitude.

I love you too. I know you hate using that trick on anyone and you don't have to on Kels. Let me handle this.

He raised an eyebrow and gave her a soft smile. She's right, you know. You have an effect on me.

"Or maybe not so vanilla. It takes balls to go shack up with one guy while the one here can't help but know what you're doing."

She was about to kiss Jay right here in front of everyone, but that statement stopped her in her tracks.

Kels was staring back and forth between them. Almost as if she knew they were having a secret conversation.

Paisley offered the other girl her sweetest smile. "You can call me that if you want. It's kind of endearing and I've never had a pet name before. Since we will be such close girlfriends, I'll start thinking of one for you too. One that's just perfect for you. And I'm glad that you have Jay's back. I wouldn't want it any other way."

She lost her smile, and she looked the other girl in the eyes, so she'd know how serious she was. "The last thing I want to do is hurt him. Or to change him in any way, and I don't think I have changed him. I think for the first time in his life, he feels like he can finally be himself. He doesn't need a mask with me. He doesn't need layers of protection from me. I see him exactly as he is, and he sees me exactly as I am. Because of this I didn't have to hide where I was last night from him nor did I have to explain to him why I was there. He might not have liked it and maybe it hurt him a little, but he knows I was only comforting a friend who's in a lot of pain right now. Just like I would want him to go to you if you needed him. I'm not the type of person who shacks up with anyone. No pantry needed but thank you for caring so much about him."

"I think we need a pantry right now. Babe, you're hot when you're gently putting someone in their place."

After another long look at Kels, Paisley turned to Jay. You won't hear any complaints from me.

"Don't even think about it, Jay McCarthy. No pantry for either of you."

Her mom looked over at Matthew who was eyeing them all like they were the best movie he'd ever seen. "I don't keep up with the new slang. Does pantry mean what I think it means?"

Nodding, he turned red and slouched into his seat so far that it was a wonder he didn't fall out of it.

Kels laughed harder than her or Jay. "You better watch these two, Dougie. I recognized the looks they keep sending each other. They are in heat."

Jay sobered. "Kels, don't tell her that. She barely trusts me as it is."

"Smart woman. Dougie, you and I should talk."

Jay turned to the silent boy who was finally done eating and was now twisting his head back-and-forth so he could feel his hair softly slap against his face and shoulders. "Stud my man, didn't you say something about beating the work traffic?"