Part 24

Seth was sitting in one chair, so Jay took the other one

  "If you want to punch me then I won't stop you."

  "I wish. It would make us both feel better, but Paisley doesn't want me to."

  "I was never good enough for her."

  "Tell me about it. Do you know that not even five minutes ago she was telling me I deserve better than her? She really believes that shit too."

  "I would rather you punch me than to hear this. It would hurt less."

  "Life is fucked up and gets a hardon when it can kick us when we're down. Deal with it. Paisley has tried to hold your hand and listen to your woes. I'm not going to. You lost your sister and that sucks. It sucks big hairy gonads, but it's not your fault and it's damn sure not Paisley's fault. Some deranged madman got his hands on her and there wasn't anything you could do about it. The end."

  "You're an asshole."

  "Yep. Because I've been where you are. I've been to the pits of hell. It was home to me for most of my life. I've lived with more pain and suffering then even you can know. Everyone I've ever cared about has either left me or has been taken from me. What happened to your sister was horrible and I'm sure you think you know, I'm sure you think you can imagine it, you can't. I can. I lived it. For a short time, Paisley had to live it. You don't know that fear. That pain. Be glad you don't know. Be glad your sister found freedom from it."

  Jay held up his hand before the other boy could talk and he forced him to remain silent. "She was more scared than a person should ever have to be, but she never stopped fighting him. And she never stopped thinking about you. When her time came, she held her head high, and she told him he could do whatever he wanted to her, but he would never get his hands on Paisley again."

  Jay allowed him his question.

  "How do you know that?"

  "The same way I stopped you from speaking a moment ago. The moment I stepped into those woods I lived her last minutes too. I also know that madman knew his own personal hell. There was nothing you nor I could have done to him that could have ever equal to the things that were done to him before he was even five years old. His mind was broken and twisted beyond repair."

  "There's no way you could_____."

  Jay held up his hand. "You have no idea what I'm capable of. I know you're in love with Paisley and I know it's not the kind of love that just disappears. I'm sorry about that. I also know that your parents are dicks. Grade A dicks, but at least you have some. They care in their own way. You can tell them to fuck off for all I care but before you do that, you will let them help you like they've been trying to do. You need professional help and they can afford it. I know you're hurt; I know that a piece of you is broken but you can heal. I know what it's like to have nothing left. Not even a reason to get up in the morning. In fact, there were many reasons to not get up in the mornings, but I did it anyway and you're damn sure going to do it too. For Paisley. She's been to hell and back and she isn't going to lose anything else. If nothing else, then you're going to think about what seeing you like this is doing to her."

  He didn't bother letting the boy speak this time since he already knew what he was thinking. "She should hate you, but she doesn't. As much as I hate to admit this, she loves you. Truth is, if I hadn't come around then she would still be with you. And no, I'm not forcing her to be with me. She belongs to me and I belong to her in a way you wouldn't understand. Give me your hand."

  Jay took it. "I can take all your pain away. Paisley refuses to let me do this for her but I'll do it for you if you want me to. I owe that to you."

  "No!"

  "That's a fucking human for you. We're always glutting for punishment. I'll leave you your pain, but I'll give you the strength to live with it. The rest will be up to you. You will not harm yourself and you will not turn to drinking and drugs. The only way you'll ever kiss Paisley again is if she asks you to. For now on, you won't just think about your sister's last few moments of life, you'll remember her as Freddy Mercury. You'll remember her when she used to call you Bubba and she wouldn't let anyone tuck her in but you. Remember that she wouldn't want you to let this defeat you. She thought you were good and strong, and she needs you to be those things more now than ever and you're going to do that. For her memory."

  Seth's hand shook and only shook more as he noticed the changes within himself. "What are you?"

  "When I figure that out, I'll let you know."