Part 25

His irritation knew no bounds

  If he thought he would get home and he'd have Paisley all to himself as he unwound from the day he's had, then he was sadly mistaken.  

  They were all at his house just sitting down to a big family dinner. Damn it if Angel, Ernie, and Is didn't drive down as soon as they heard there was a new addition to the family.

  The only reason he didn't back out and keep going is because Paisley was in there among all of his family. Angel was making her laugh and trying to impress her with his muscles. Is and Lisa were gushing over the baby and Dougie was staying as far away from it as she could get. Jack, Ernie and Punk were talking, and Jay could practically see all of Punk's concerns about Lisa and Jack being disappointed evaporate.

  You even think about leaving without me and I won't be responsible for what I do.

  Any chance of you sneaking out of there?

  None, and Lisa knows you're out there so she's giving you one minute to get your ass in here or she's coming out there to get you.

  Traitor

  I Love you.

  Which is why my sorry ass is coming in there when I should run the other way.

  Mostly you want to run, but there is a part of you that wants to be here. A part of you that wants to feel like you belong. Come to me, Jay.

  He did, taking all the slaps on the backs and greetings it took to get to her. Angel flirted with her and winked at him every time he did it. He was a neanderthal. Ernie's wife was already in love with little Rosemary and Ernie was sweating it.

  He was all for children, he just wanted them ten or fifteen years down the road.

  Everyone took turns around the table holding the baby except for Dougie. When it came his turn Dougie cocked an eyebrow at him.

  He didn't hate kids; he just knew nothing about them. He damn sure has never held one before.

  It's easy. She's almost six months so you don't have to support her head or anything. Just watch out, she's a jumper. I nearly dropped her.

  That's not reassuring.

  He took the kid and stared down at her. He could see why Punk didn't question being the father. She looked so much like him he could have dropped her out all on his own. Poor kid.

  Jay! She's adorable.

  Well, sure for right now but how much hope does she have for the future?

  Smiling, Paisley turned to talk to Angel about school.

  Rosemary was staring back at him intently. Her cheeks were all red and kind of pudgy. She had very little hair, but it looked like it would be brown. Maybe even as dark as her dad's. Her eyes were dark and big.

  You're a smart one, aren't you? I'm Jay. If you ask most of the people around this table, they'll tell you that I'm your uncle. They're crazy like that, but I guess if you want to see me as an uncle you can.

  She reached for his nose so he held her closer so she could reach it. I know you're probably thinking you're getting a rotten start on life since your mom is a crackhead or something, but I think you're going to have it better off than some kids. Your dad is sitting there, and he can't take his eyes off you. He's worried he's not good enough for you, but I think he'll be better than most because you already hold his heart. He's smitten, so go easy on him. People like him and me don't love easily. It might take him awhile to get this father thing down, but you just hang in there, he'll get it. He will have help. Your grandfather and your grandmother will make sure of it. They're pretty good at sticking around so you're pretty much covered now. No one else will walk out on you.

  She tried to suck his whole nose into her mouth, and he laughed out loud. "She's a keeper, Punk. I suggest plastic surgery on her nose as soon as she's old enough."

  "Screw you."

  "Is that anyway to talk in front of your daughter? She's already decided that I'm her favorite uncle and she will not take kindly to you_____."

  Angel frowned. "Now wait one damn minute. I haven't even held her yet. She might like me more. All women like me more."

  "Women too dumb to know better."

  "Neither of you need to fight over her. She will love both of you." Ernie smiled. "But I'll be her favorite. Not only am I older and wiser but I also have a checkbook. I've already ordered her the best crib, highchair, and changing table that money can buy."

  Jay grinned. Ernie has been wondering how to tell Punk that he'd ordered some things without stepping on his toes. "Buying her affection? I can respect that, but she will still like me better. She's already told me so."

  "You're crazy. Stop hogging her and pass her on, so I can get my turn."

  Grinning, Jay held Rosemary up so he could whisper loud enough that Ernie, Dougie, Jack and Lisa heard him. "I'll give you twenty bucks if you cry when you get to him or at least spit up on him or something."

  Since he was unsure how to handle the tears that Lisa was denying even though they were filling up her eyes, he looked to Paisley. He didn't know how to handle the pride in her eyes, but it did do crazy things to his chest.

  You pretty perfect you know that?

  Save it for when we're alone.

  His words chased the pride away and replaced it with desire, so he let her see his own need.

  Let's get out of here.

  He sent her a smirk. You mean leave in the middle of this big, perfect family dinner? I'm right behind_____

  Jack cleared his throat. "Jay, could I speak to you for a moment?"

  Normally he would have thought it was hilarious how everyone at the table stilled. Some in mid-sentence, others with their forks almost to their mouths. He didn't blame them. Jack wanting to talk privately in the middle of a family dinner couldn't be good.

  He searched the other man for answers. Crap. I think I'm about to get the sex talk.

  Paisley smirked. My mom gave me mine when I was thirteen. She wanted to get it out of the way.

  Reluctantly, Jay got up and followed his foster father out of the room. By now I could probably teach him a thing or two.

  I'm just wanting you to teach me a thing or two.