Part 29

When Dougie throws a barbecue, she invites everyone

   When Dougie throws a barbecue, she invites everyone. Paisley's friends were here, plus Jackson's grandmother. Hannah brought her eight and nine-year-old brother and sister. Dougie's friends Ruby and Ally had just showed up and Ally brought her boyfriend Cal. Matthew was here and their algebra teacher Mr. Keel was here because apparently, he was in elementary was Dougie. Even their mailman was here.

  Angel was still shirtless and was spending all his time trying to impress the ladies. Including Ruby who was at least twenty years his senior. Matthew and Mr. Keel were having a better time than everyone and was nerding out as they challenged each other.

  Dougie, Ally, and Cal had all the cooking under control while Lisa watched with a glass of wine in her hand and a smile on her face. Jack, Paisley and her friends were playing horseshoes. He still couldn't figure out why. Did people actually play that for real?

  Grandma and Punk was sleeping in lounge chairs.

  Jay stared down at Rosemary and she stared up at him. Who knew that such a sweet, mostly cute baby could have such a rotten temper? Her new grandma lost her peppy, and she got royally pissed. And stayed pissed for about eight hours. Punk tried others, went out and bought more, then tore the house apart looking for the lost one.

  About the time he found it, was about the time Lisa ordered Jay home to take care of the baby.

  As soon as he picked her up, she stopped crying, and all she did was stare at him.

  Not that he blamed the kid, if someone like him was holding him, he'd stay on his toes too.

  She seemed peaceful enough now. Her diaper was clean. She was just now beginning to get hungry.

  He held up the bottle someone had already made, and she halfheartedly attempted to reach it. What to kick back and enjoy your bottle?

  Not waiting for an answer, he shifted her into the crook of his arm then offered the bottle to her again. She sipped at it, her eyes still on his.

  Just in case you're worried about it, you should know you're safe with me. I might have an ugly mug and a weird vibe, but I wouldn't hurt you. I know what it's like to have a crack head mother. I've been there and done that myself so I can understand you keeping your eyes on everyone. Trust no one. That's the foster kid motto but here's a good bit of news for you, you're not a foster care kid. Yet. You've got one more shot. You probably look at your dad and you're not too impressed, but I think if you give him a chance you'll be surprised. He looks tough, but he's just a big ole softy. His act is his way of protecting himself. He's probably more scared of you than you are of him.

  Feeling Paisley's eyes on him, he looked her way.

  Her look was soft and thoughtful. She was still upset over Seth's absence, but she was hiding it well. More than anything she was picking up on his worries.

  Jackson said something funny, so she smiled his way, but her eyes stayed on Jay. Have I mentioned how adorable you look holding Rosemary?

  I think I'm freaking her out.

  That's not what I'm picking up. She's tired and feeling very tranquil. Secure.

  He looked back down at the baby in his arms. Her eyes were heavy. Why can't I pick up any of that?"

  It might have something to do with how wound up you are. Basically, she scares you shitless.

  He supposed she did. He's never been around a baby before. Never in the same room with one before. She seemed foreign and strange to him, like she was a different kind of species. An endangered species.

  Paisley sat down next to him. Ready to talk to me about whatever is bothering you?

  I don't know what is bothering me. Ready to talk about you being upset that pretty boy is gone?

  She drew her legs up and rested her chin on her knees. Not really. Thinking of things foreign to you, I'm guessing this is your first barbecue.

  And my last if it means horseshoes and barbecue. I can handle grilled meat but why drown it in a red sauce?

  Yum. You don't know what you're missing. Cal makes the best sauce.

  He grunted.

  They're almost done with the horseshoes then Jack is putting up the volleyball net he bought.

  He groaned.

  Be very afraid. My team will destroy your team.

  His eyebrows rose. First, who said I was playing and second, why are we not on the same team?

  "If we were on the same team, then I couldn't kick your ass."

  Feeling her confidence, his eyes narrowed. "I feel like I'm being challenge."

  She laughed out loud. "I should hope so. It's on Jay McCarthy. I love you but I'm going to have to defeat you."