Part 63

She watched him sleep

  She watched him sleep. He did a lot of sleeping. At the end of day two she started to worry about him and woke him up.

  He ate quickly then went straight back to sleep.

  He looked nothing like Jay, but he felt like Jay. He was as close to Jay as she'd ever get back so before she could start thinking about finding the jerk who was waiting to catch her off guard; she walked to Jason side of the room and laid down next to him.

  Reaching out, she lightly touched his hand. She searched him for any trace of Jay, and she found him.

  Kael.

  Her Jay but not. He'd been a bit taller, his chest and arms a tad more define. A hint of a dimple in his chin, it was his one thing that had separated him from his brothers.

  Echo's eyes had been a deeper green. Eze had a small pink birthmark on his jaw, and Talon was just a little shorter than the other three.

  They were as close as any siblings could be. No wonder they had felt such loss once they'd been separated.

  When she started to see flashes of Jason's life, she eased her hand away from his.

  When she woke in the middle of the night to him speaking Mandarin in his sleep, she knew his brothers had found him.

  She was glad for him. She really was, but she was heartbroken too. They would come together with one of them missing.

  She couldn't bear that, so she knew it was time for her to move on. Maybe it was time for her to face the ass hiding out down the street. Jay's killer has been wanting to find him for days. She could find him instead.

  Jason was awake and watching her. His eyes still sad but no longer glassy and unfocused.

  "You shouldn't think such things."

  "I'll send Jay's.... I'll send for you some food."

  He laid a fingertip against her temple. "Don't be so sad."

  "Don't." She backed out of his reached. "I don't want to feel better. I don't want to think everything is all right when it isn't. The world is broken."

  "The world can mend, and so can you."

  "If you want to do anything, then let me see him." She looked next to the bed where Jay's image stood. "I see him, but he's blurry and seems so far away. Give him back to me even if it's just in my mind."

  He reached out his hand, and she moved closer until his finger was back against her temple.

  "Sleep and relive your pleasant memories. Find peace in your dreams and you won't awaken until you don't have to be sad any longer."