Part 42

  Even seeing Mack and her pack first thing Monday morning couldn't ruin his good mood. Tuesday, he didn't bother to acknowledge them in any way and when one of the twins bumped into him in the hallway, he'd been sent to wherever he was staying to paint the walls. Not his most creative idea but it got the guy away from him and the rest of them stayed out of his path. Wednesday AJ was brave enough to catch Paisley in the girl's restroom for a little talk. She'd barely reintroduced herself before he barged in and got into her face.

  He wasn't even in a bad mood. He just calmly explained that if she ever bothered his girl again, then her boyfriend would suddenly be into dudes.

  Paisley hid a smile into his shoulder knowing he'd do no such thing, but AJ believed his bluff.

  And that was good. He might be bluffing right now but he could be pushed. They would learn that they couldn't mess with Paisley. Ever.

  "She was being nice, babe. I could have talked to her."

  "Don't think so."

  She hugged him from behind. "We need to talk to them, eventually."

  "Later."

  "Isn't it better to know than to not know?"

  "They want something, and I want no part of it."

  "You can't decide that without knowing what it is." She walked around him, her concentration slipping as she thought about the curve of his neck.

  His smile was back. "We're in the girl's restroom, babe."

  Her smile was bigger, if that was possible. "We are. Want to guess which one of us belongs here?"

  "Where you go, I go."

  "Let's go home."

  He shook his head. "We have another two hours and fifteen minutes."

  Her frustration with her mom died out as fast as it came. "I guess it's not unreasonable that she's put her foot down about skipping classes, but she also said no more detention and that will be the least of your problems if you get caught in here."

  "I won't get caught." He boasted.

  "Not that long ago you wouldn't use your powers if you could help it."

  He gathered her back into his arms. "That was before your complete acceptance of me. The way you believe in me...." He shook his head at a loss of words, but he knew she'd know what was in his heart.

  She kissed his chin. "Talk to them soon." 

  She was worried because he wasn't able to get much off of them except for Mack. That girl was all pissed off and acting like the woman wronged. She was also hurt.

  "Of course, she is, Jay. Even you know that there was something about her____."

  "She's not my mate."

  "I know that but there was something there."

  He shrugged. "Not anymore."

  Feeling his conceit, earned him another kissed and a smirk. His girl liked it when he was feeling proud of himself.

  "Who even says that, anyway? Mate?"

  "Their wells don't go deep, babe. It's like none of them have the answers. Just bits and pieces here and there. It was just a feeling she had. A calling to her."

  "A calling you felt too." She pointed out."

  "A small ass version. Almost nonexistent."

  "Still, I imagine she is hurting, and it wouldn't hurt for us to be nicer to her."

  She felt his acceptance and his warning about her ever being alone with the other girl.

  "Afraid that she'll want to fight for you?"

  He had to search his own feelings to find the answer. "She might have before but now she knows it would be pointless. I don't want you alone with any of them and I'm not sure why."

  "So, AJ's the one with all the answers and you're not ready to admit that there's something about all of them that calls you to them."

  "That about covers it."

  Paisley grinned. "Did you just send Laine Davis to the locker room restroom because this one is out of order?"

  "Yep. Lunch didn't agree with her. Be glad I didn't let you eat it." Once in the hallway, she gave him another quick kiss before headed in the opposite direction.

  You let Matthew eat it.

  Yep. He felt her chuckle.

  How long until we can go home?

  He smiled. Two hours and seven minutes but you'll hardly notice it because we're going to play a game.

  Is this the same game we played last night at dinner?

  That was just child's play. Him teasing her by thinking naughty things. You in the locker room yet? He asked instead of answering. Everyone already dressed and outside?

  He already knew they were.

  Oh.

  The mind was a wonderful thing. The mind controlled the whole body and his mind could touch on anyone's in this school if he wanted to. The only one he wanted to touch was her.

 Jay

  Hold on to something, baby.

  Oh my.