Part 13

  "I used to respect your mother. Now, not so much. I obviously have mushed her brain up and can't remember doing it."

  She forced his eyes back on hers. "No joking right now."

  "Who says I'm joking?"

  She crawled into his lap and he meant to stay aloof, but it was impossible. He hooked a finger into a belt loop on each side of her hips and pulled her closer. His lips were already on hers when her plead sounded in his head.

  Talk to me.

  He groaned and kissed her, anyway. Over the last few weeks and a lot of practice he's learned a few things about kissing Paisley. As long as he stayed in control and if he kept his emotions in check, then he could keep their kiss on this side of earth shattering.

  Which meant no black outs. No transfer of memories. No inner fire trying to consume him.

  Bad thing about that, he's come to want that fire. Need that fire.

  He wasn't just holding back from her because of her mother, or because he wanted their first time to be perfect. He was always holding back because he didn't know what in the hell would happen when they went all the way.

  He's had sex, but the truth is that he's never been intimate with anyone. There was a difference, as far as he was concerned. With Paisley it would be more than an act with a certain goal to be reached.

  There was no way of him staying in control for that.

  He was feeling so much right now that he shouldn't have kissed her. Big, big mistake. There was no chance in keeping it light and fun. He'd been lost before his lips even met hers.

  When he could finally string two thoughts together again, she was clinging to him and breathing hard. Her eyes were dazed and her skin damp with perspiration. It had to be only a few moments because he knew Dougie was still in the shower but if he had thought to kiss the thoughts out of her head, then it was a bad plan.

  Jay moaned when she turned his head back to hers and found his lips again. His hands spanned her backside even as he fought for the discipline to stop where this was headed. "Paisley."

  "I know."

  She'd recently found out that if she kissed her way up his left ear that he became putty in her hands. She did that now, and he groaned in anticipation. You'll have to stop us this time, babe. I couldn't if my life depended on it.

  Okay, baby. Right after I do this.

  Her perfect heart shape mouth should be outlawed. Or was it her breath against his skin that did it to him? Growling, he pushed her into the couch but before he could follow her; she jumped up and was halfway across the room before he even knew she wasn't still in his arms. Growling again, he flopped onto his back and tried to count to ten.