|49|

The sunlight peeked through the billowing curtains and cast a warm, golden glow on Anaya's face, making her features appear more delicate

The sunlight peeked through the billowing curtains and cast a warm, golden glow on Anaya's face, making her features appear more delicate. Her eyes fluttered open, drifting to the clock hanging on the opposite wall. The digital numbers indicated it was 8:50 AM. Surprised that she had slept so long, she sat up and stretched her arms and legs, feeling the tightness in her muscles dissipate. She couldn't blame herself, though, as it had been nearly dawn when she had finally succumbed to exhaustion.

"Morning, darling," Icarus said, emerging from the bathroom, fully dressed in a black T-shirt and blue jeans. His hair was tousled and damp from the shower, adding to his charm.

She rubbed her eyes with the pads of her fingers and smiled warmly, her heart skipping a beat at the sight of him. "Good morning," she greeted, her voice still thick with sleep.

Despite her messy hair and flushed cheeks, he found her lovely and couldn't resist leaning down and planting a soft kiss on her forehead, the warmth of his lips sending a pleasant shiver down her spine. "Breakfast should be ready."

"I'll be down in ten minutes."

He nodded with a smile and exited the room, closing the door behind him. Anaya shuffled to the bathroom and brushed her teeth before jumping into the shower. The warm water washed away the last remnants of sleep and soothed her worries. She dried off and slipped into a pair of snug-fitting jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.

When she arrived at the dining hall, she was 15 minutes late. Icarus sat alone, scrolling through his phone, his eyebrows knitted in concentration.

"Sorry," she whispered, feeling guilty for keeping him waiting, and took the seat next to him.

"It's fine." He set his phone aside and gave her his undivided attention, studying her face with his inquisitive gaze. "Did you sleep well?"

He could tell something was bothering her, but he wasn't going to force her to share if she wasn't willing. He trusted her and knew she'd not keep any secrets between them.

Anaya hesitated before replying. "Yeah, I'm good." The truth was, her head wouldn't stop pounding from all the thoughts running at a million miles per hour. Her identity didn't rattle her after recollecting the truth of her past, but how would Icarus react?

Lisa brought breakfast to the table and then excused herself after bowing to them. Anaya noticed Casey lingering outside the hall and gave her a subtle nod of acknowledgment before tucking into her cheese omelet, croissant, and mango juice, savoring the flavors and feeling a sense of contentment. If anything could bring comfort to her after Icarus, it was food. At the moment, she had both.

Once they were done eating, Icarus headed to his office. He was going to remain busy for a few weeks reviewing the monthly reports submitted by different packs. Anaya seized the opportunity to devise a strategy with Casey. She returned to the room and locked the door.