|50|

Darkness surfaced as soon as the sun dipped below the horizon, signaling them to return before Lupinnaeus made an appearance

Darkness surfaced as soon as the sun dipped below the horizon, signaling them to return before Lupinnaeus made an appearance. They closed their eyes and focused their minds, teleporting to her bedroom. Anaya felt slightly disoriented as if she had just stepped off a fast-moving ride. It had been a while since she last used her powers, so the sensation still felt new to her.

With a reassuring smile, Casey vanished, leaving Anaya by herself. Her replica was slumped on the bed, deeply absorbed in a book whose cover she couldn't recognize. She shut the book and rose to her feet when she saw Anaya standing at the edge of the bed.

“Icarus and I had lunch at Cherry Hut,” she reported in a dutiful tone. “He went to work after coming back.”

“Why didn't you help him?”

“I offered, but he insisted I rest.”

Anaya nodded and waved her right hand in a come-hither motion. Her replica walked over to her and merged with her, becoming one. Memories flowed into her head, allowing her to relive the moments she had missed.

After the arduous day, rest beckoned to her, but the weight of her responsibility as the Queen of the werewolves pressed down on her. She couldn't let Icarus work tirelessly while she did nothing. It would be unfair if she didn't share the burden with him and contribute to the pack as much as he did. With that thought in mind, she made her way to his office and pushed the door open, peering into the room from the threshold.

"Can I help you now?" she asked.

She saw him smile even before he lifted his gaze from the papers in front of him.

"Sure."

She closed the door behind her and rounded the desk, occupying the seat next to his. He slid a pile of reports toward her along with his laptop that was already powered on. “Don’t hesitate to ask questions if you don’t understand something.”

"Okay, thanks," she replied, opening the first file that had been submitted by the Weston pack.

They worked in comfortable silence, except for the occasional rustling of papers and steady tapping of keys. As the hours wore on, she felt his stare and looked up to find him watching her intently, his eyes swirling with emotions. 

"What?" She rubbed her cheeks, wondering if she had left any traces of her secret on her face. She had taken a shower in the cottage to cleanse the grime and sweat from her skin. When she finished, she made sure to put everything in its original place so Icarus wouldn't suspect her presence. Looking at him now, she didn't know how much longer she would be able to pretend like she wasn't hiding a life-altering truth from him, the man who mattered the most to her.

"Nothing," he whispered, pulling her chair closer and aligning his body with hers. His hands found her hips to guide her onto his lap, the heat of his touch searing through her clothes. She could feel their bond humming with desire when he leaned in and kissed her, as urgent and warm as the first time. The world around them faded away to nothingness as they lost themselves in each other.