|21|

When morning arrived, Anaya was wide awake

When morning arrived, Anaya was wide awake. Her eyes tingled painfully due to her staring contest with the ceiling. She had heard terrifying sounds again after midnight and this time it was louder, as if the source was right outside her room, crawling along the walls.

If this became a regular occurrence, it would surely deter her health. She didn't know why others weren't bothered. They should have left this place already.

A knock on the door startled Anaya out of her thoughts. She sat up quickly and ran her fingers through her hair to look a little better than she felt but she knew nothing could curtail the mess that was her face. Without looking in the mirror, she could tell it was swollen and blotchy, with dark circles underneath her eyes. 

"Oh Luna, were you crying?" Lisa asked softly, placing the breakfast tray on the glass table. Her expression didn't betray her thoughts. There was no disdain for which Anaya was grateful. 

She chuckled. "No. Just lack of sleep."

"Why, what happened?" The concern on Lisa's face made her heart clench. Oh, what she would give to get a mother like the woman in front of her. 

"I heard some noise and um, I was scared." 

Lisa slowly nodded. "You will hear the beast every night, so just close your eyes and sleep. You get used to it after a while."

"Who is the beast?"

Her eyes widened at her slip up and she flashed Anaya a gentle, nervous smile. "You must not worry about it. You have a gathering to attend today and you need to look radiant."

"That's in the evening." Anaya decided to save her questions about the beast for Icarus. Lisa had said enough and she might get into trouble for answering something she was likely told not to.

"No luna. You are leaving with the Alpha before lunch hour."

"Are you sure, Lisa?" She didn't want to panic but she couldn't help it. She'd assumed the gathering to be held at night which would have given her plenty of time to prepare herself for whatever was to come her way, at least some pep talk in front of the mirror.

"Certainly," Lisa said. "Please don't fret. We still have five hours to go. Have your breakfast, then we shall proceed."

"Five hours isn't enough. I need at least a month to recover." Anaya glanced at her reflection in the mirror for confirmation and cringed. She couldn't go today, not like this. "Lisa, can you ask Icarus to reschedule it?"

"They have been informed and are awaiting your presence."

"Then what should I do? I'm not good at applying makeup."

"Oh, that won't be a problem." Lisa smiled reassuringly, handing Anaya a tiny glass bottle. "Here, soak yourself in this essential oil."

"Nothing can help my state," she mumbled in distress and made her way into the bathroom. After brushing her teeth, she filled the bathtub with cold water and poured the oil into it. Abundance of intoxicating scents filled her lungs and she didn't waste any time to undress before sliding into the tub. If she closed her eyes, she could envision herself sitting on a blanket of green, surrounded by exotic flowers. The near comfort made her smile.