|43|

Anaya let out a gasp, her steps coming to an abrupt halt

Anaya let out a gasp, her steps coming to an abrupt halt. She wasn't sure if the view in front of her was real or another hallucination but it looked breathtakingly beautiful. Tall, lush green trees, their branches twisted and tangled, crowded the blue sky and disappeared beyond reach. Her eyes remained transfixed, following every sway and swing of the branches, watching the way the leaves and flowers glistened as if bathed in bronze, and she knew it was not just the morning breeze.

The trees were dancing. For real.

"This is the dancing forest," Icarus whispered, confirming what she'd already guessed.

She faced him, her eyes wide and full of wonder. "Can the trees sing as well?"

"No." He laughed and took her hand in his, lacing their fingers together as they crossed the stone bridge that separated the dancing forest from his favourite spot. "The trees can distinguish between the good and the bad. Good is welcomed by dance and bad is buried beneath the earth."

"Seriously? Is that possible?"

"What do you think?"

She turned around to find the forest completely still, with not a single twig moving anymore. "Wow," she said, her voice sounding breathy. "Does it mean we are good people?"

"I think so. We wouldn't be here otherwise."

"Has the forest killed anyone?"

"More than you can imagine."

"Then, um, did you want to test me?"

He shook his head, squeezing her hand. "I trust you. We are going to my favourite spot, and this is the only route."

"Favourite spot?"

"It was built for Meredith Vasilios, and thereafter the royals who descended the throne received the cottage as a gift."

Anaya's eyebrows knitted as she thought hard, and finally, as if a light bulb lit up in her mind, the name clicked in. "The first werewolf Queen, who left her mate for God."

"Yeah, Her late Majesty, although I don't think that story holds any truth."

Before she could ask him any more, he stopped in front of a carved stone wall, staring at it in silence. Anaya was taken aback by its sheer beauty, but her eyes did not linger on it for long as she looked around, then back at him, frowning. "Are you sure this is the right path?"

"What do you see?"

Her frown deepened at his peculiar question, but she answered him anyway. "Werewolves playing with their mates in the woods under the moonlight?"

He chuckled. "Yeah, but take a closer look. This is a hidden door. Do you think you can open it?"

"Huh, impossible." She scrutinized the wall and paused when her eyes zeroed on the amulet around the werewolf's neck. It was similar to the one Icarus had worn on her coronation. She traced the pattern with her fingertips and said, "I have seen this before—" Words died in her throat and what came out was a gasp as the wall began to tremble. She wrenched her hand away and staggered, colliding with Icarus.