|28|

Icarus' head spun hearing Alpha Evan's words

Icarus' head spun hearing Alpha Evan's words. His mate wasn't any ordinary human? That was impossible. He had spent so much time with Anaya and not a single thing about her had felt out of place. If his own judgement wasn't proof enough, he still had the blood test report which clearly stated that there was no trace of supernatural blood in her veins. He responded to Alpha Evan when his initial shock subsided and received the explanation about the delivery taking place sooner than the due date after Anaya's touch. Icarus wanted to say it was nothing but a goddamn coincidence, after all it wasn't unlikely for a baby to be born before time, but he kept quiet as he pondered over it. Anaya had been in heat, that was strange. No human had experienced heat before, they only went through the menstrual cycle.

The ride back to the Imperial pack was painful. Zarina and Immanuel tried their best to strike up a conversation but failed. After dropping them at the pack house, Icaus zipped through the clear road blindly. He wanted to be alone, so he could think this through and find evidence against her, only then he would be able to confront her. He wondered why Anaya was hiding her identity from him. Who was she trying to protect? He had enemies but that was because of his position as the Alpha king. Power hunger drove other high ranked werewolves to challenge him every now and then, but he didn't have any conflict as such with other kinds; they all shared the sentiment of eternal peace.

"I'll see you later." He took off in the direction of his office without a backward glance, leaving Anaya alone in the empty hall.

Her shoulders slouched and she let out a sigh, climbing up the stairs to her room. She trusted Icarus, but with what transpired today, she decided to stay away from him. Just because he made her feel like she was the only significant person in his life, didn't mean it was true. She knew what she saw. There was Jina and maybe many more. If Icarus was a human like her, she would have let this go without a second thought. That's how her world worked, trial and error until they found a partner suitable for them. But in Icarus' case, he knew he had a mate somewhere out there. He could have waited for her. Anaya would have, if the roles were reversed.

At times like these she missed aunt Anita and her roommates so much more. They would have been awesome to give some valuable advice, but they weren't with her nor did she have her phone. The feelings bubbling within her were a new territory, and she wasn't sure if she was overreacting, or that's how she was supposed to feel. She had never been affectionate towards any man and the only time she was starting to feel, it brought her here, hurt and confused.

A few tears slipped from her eyes and she drew her knees closer to her chest, hugging her legs tightly. She thought she was finally settling in the Imperial pack, but the coldness that seeped through the cracks of her heart told her otherwise. The foreign feeling returned and her chest grew heavy, like it was being weighed down by a sack of stones.

"Anaya!" There was a knock on the door and she quickly wiped the wetness from her cheeks when Icarus barged in. She didn't want to worry him despite everything.