|24|

Fingers intertwined, Anaya and Icarus ascended the stairs in silence, occasionally stealing glances at each other and looking away at being caught

Fingers intertwined, Anaya and Icarus ascended the stairs in silence, occasionally stealing glances at each other and looking away at being caught. Halting in front of her room, he faced her and leaned down to kiss her forehead, a smile playing on his lips. "I'll see you tomorrow. Good night, darling."

"Good night," she whispered softly, watching his retreating figure disappear behind his office door. Only then did she realize that she stood alone in the dark and empty corridor. The guards had been removed on her request because she knew she wouldn't escape and with Icarus here, she didn't need any protection but now she regretted her decision gravely. A shiver ran down her spine and she quickly slipped into her room and locked the door.

It was going to be midnight soon and she didn't want to experience the blood-chilling fear again. She needed sleep but she knew that was impossible. She wondered if she should just flip her routine and sleep during the day. Minutes passed into hours, and she continued pacing around the room restlessly, trying to muster up enough courage to last her tonight but nothing had prepared her for the vicious growl that sliced through the silence. The sound resonated from somewhere afar but she could feel the vibration in her bones, sending shock waves down to her toes. She hopped into the bed and pulled the covers over her head, forgetting about the dress she wore. There was a loud thud, followed by a hiss, and footsteps echoed outside. She was lucky to be staying on the upper floor or else the beast could have broken through her window and ripped her into pieces, leaving nothing but blood and bones. Immediately a gruesome image flashed behind her eyelids and she sat upright in a panic. Sweat covered her forehead and her vision blurred with unshed tears. She didn't want to be alone.

"Icarus..." She rolled out of the bed and rushed to the door, opening it slowly to not cause any noise. She tiptoed to Icarus' room and turned the doorknob to reveal an empty bed. Stepping in, she glanced around but he wasn't there, even the bathroom was very quiet. Then she remembered he was in his office. With a relieved sigh, she closed the door and turned in the direction of his office.

"What are you doing here?"

Anaya shrieked, her heart hammering wildly in her chest. She looked up at Icarus who had appeared out of nowhere. "Thank goodness, it's you!"

"I told you to stay in your room!" Icarus growled, his eyes flashing menacingly, the amber hue as bright as fire as he charged toward her. "How dare you disobey me?"

"But I was—" Her face fell when he stepped forward and grabbed her wrist, dragging her back to her room.

"I swear to god if I ever see you loitering at night alone, you'll endure the consequences."

His anger hurt her deeply. No one had ever spoken to her in the tone he did. She whimpered and tried to yank her hand free but it only made him tighten his grip. Tears rolled down her face and she cried out when the pain became unbearable. "Please."

He stopped in his tracks and turned around to look at her, then at her wrist, letting go immediately as if he just came to his senses. The redness was so vivid against her pale skin that remorse filled his eyes. "Anaya, I didn't-"