|13|

Anaya had spent all her life trying to make her ends meet

Anaya had spent all her life trying to make her ends meet. She never found someone who could make her feel all tingly and special. There was no one who occupied her thoughts and made her heart thunder like a tiger's roar.

She was afraid of attachment and affection because if her own parents could abandon her, what could she say about others?

But now, after meeting Icarus, all she wanted was all that she never had. She wanted to feel loved even if it was just a tiny bit for a tiny amount of time.

And if this was wrong, why did it feel so right?

He was a werewolf, different from her and though she should have been afraid of him, she was not. She could walk away from anyone, but not him.

A knock on the door snapped her out of her thoughts. Startled, she quickly wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand and sat up on the bed.

Her heart dropped to her gut when the door was pushed open to reveal Nick. Lisa emerged out from behind him and headed straight to the walk-in closet. She couldn't look at the closed door anymore when she realised Lisa was packing her suitcase in there.

"Good afternoon, Anaya," Nick greeted her softly. "How is your fever now?"

He looked as handsome as yesterday with his gray buttoned up shirt and black slacks. She wondered if he had found his mate yet.

"Good afternoon." She forced a smile to her face. "I-It's gone. I'm fine n-now."

"Were you crying?"

Her eyes widened and she shook her head fiercely. "No, I was asleep." It was lame to lie when her expression clearly said otherwise. But she wasn't comfortable speaking to him about her problems with his Alpha.

He nodded and she held her breath, already knowing what was coming next but she wasn't prepared to hear him. For some reason, she felt like she'd make a huge mistake if she left Icarus today.

"Ready to go?" Lisa came back right on que with a suitcase pulled up beside her and Anaya had no choice but to nod, muttering a "yes".

She was on the verge of tears, her heart crumbling to pieces with every step she took out of the room and down the stairs.

He wasn't hers but she didn't want to lose him and having spent some time with him over the week didn't help either.

She stopped in her tracks when she saw Icarus at the bottom of the stairs. He held out his hand to her and she took it without hesitation. Warmth shot through her veins and she looked away, finding it hard not to cry in front of him.