|32|

Aunt Anita once said if a man fills your eyes with tears and your heart with pain, you know you're a goner

Aunt Anita once said if a man fills your eyes with tears and your heart with pain, you know you're a goner. You care about him enough to let him affect you so much. So far, it was true. Anaya was feeling nothing but hurt. It came in bits and pieces when those memories resurfaced and slowly engulfed her to the point she grew exhausted. Not only emotionally but physically too. Her limbs had given up on her and she had collapsed on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, her moist eyelids heavy but reluctant to close.

It had been somewhat manageable and she had begun to think she could keep her emotions in check by burying Icarus at the back of her mind but no, one simple embrace and she was breaking down again. His skin had been warm and she had wanted to melt into him. That moment had confirmed one thing she had been doubtful of previously.

She had to leave, sooner the better. 

Those little distractions would never help her move on if she continued to stay in his house, so close to him. She didn't care about the dangers ahead of her, she would handle it herself when the time came. She didn't know how but she would as long as she went far away from the Imperial Royale pack.

In spite of the protest her body made, she rolled out of the bed and staggered towards the suitcase on the floor. She hadn't cared to unpack, maybe deep down she knew she would have to leave soon. She unzipped it and sighed at the mess. Over the past week, she'd been wearing these clothes except for the one time she had gone to meet Ellie. 

"Are you packing?" a voice spoke behind her, followed by light footsteps, and without turning around Anaya could say it belonged to Casey. Instantly she was irritated at the unwanted presence.

"Yeah." Anaya nodded curtly. She did not like the woman, something felt off about her.

"Goodness, no! You will spoil our plan." Casey snatched the suitcase handle and carried the suitcase into Anaya's closet, unpacking the clothes and placing them on the various shelves, just like it had been before.

"Excuse me?" Anaya asked incredulously, fuming at the audacity of the girl. How dare she?

"Look!" She let out a sigh, meeting Anaya's gaze. Her eyes were distinct in a way that made Anaya shudder. Her pupils weren't round, just two vertical slits. "I know why you like him. I mean, who wouldn't? He is really hot. But you need to focus on your mission. So, we did what we had to do."

Anaya didn't understand the meaning behind Casey's words. Her furrowed eyebrows must have expressed her confusion because Casey continued in a low voice. "When we saw you in the Imperial Royale pack, that too in the Alpha king's house, we were impressed. We didn't think you'd snag Icarus Cy Vasilios of all the werewolves. But when you began to get involved with him instead of doing your work, we had to interfere. The day you went to meet Chloe and touched her stomach, you nourished the baby which made her go into labour. Evan mind-linked Icarus saying you couldn't be a human. We were sure he would be furious at you for lying to him, and you both will drift apart. But he didn't have such thoughts. He was slightly confused, that's it. That's how deep his trust in you runs. So, I controlled his mind, planted several questions according to the need of the situation to create doubts. And next thing we know, he did exactly that. He accused and humiliated you."

Anaya stilled, blood draining from her face. Her eyes filled with a fresh round of tears and she felt like someone just punctured her heart all over again. "Y-you did all that?"

"I didn't have a choice. It was the only way to remind you of your task. But it looks like you both have fallen in love with each other which is awful." She tsked, her face reflecting disappointment. "I had to come here to assist you." 

Anaya had quit listening to her as she replayed the events of that horrific day. Icarus had appeared odd but she hadn't given much thought to it. She didn't know werewolves could manipulate and influence minds. That was for vampires as much she'd read in the novels. Rage coursed through her veins and she saw nothing but red, lunging at Casey and gripping her neck tightly.

Casey groaned. "Girl, stop. Your temper hasn't dissipated at all, huh?"

"I can't...I can't do this right now. I need to speak to Icarus." She rubbed a hand over her face and sprinted to his office but it was empty. She checked his room and that too was void of his presence. With tears raining down her cheeks and blinding her vision, she rushed down the stairs, almost missing the steps twice and falling flat on her face if it wasn't for the handrail. Her pace slowed seeing Icarus in the dining hall and it was like she could finally breathe again.

He went rigid and the spoon slipped from his fingers, making a clattering noise. He abruptly stood up and grabbed his plate, apology written all over his face as he attempted to escape. "I'll eat in my room." 

Before he could walk away, Anaya closed the distance between them and grabbed the plate from his hand, putting it down on the table, all the while drinking in the details of his face. Her heart broke when he avoided eye contact with her. The pain and guilt Icarus must have gone through for something he hadn't even done of his free will was a sort of realization that made her want to cry out and kill Casey.

"I'm so sorry!" She threw her arms around his neck and let out a stifled sob. He returned the embrace after the initial shock, enveloping her in the shell of his warmth. Her heart heaved with joy, soothing all the ache. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too," Icarus rasped out, his voice thick with emotions as he tightened his hold around her waist and buried his face in her hair, surrounding himself with her familiar, sweet scent.

"Are we good?" 

He pulled back to look at her and smiled. Her eyes flickered to his mouth and she leaned down to smash her lips against his. He met her in the middle, gliding his fingers through her hair to yank her closer, and just like that, everything else blurred. Colours exploded around and between them, all bright and wonderful behind their closed eyes as their tongues prodded against each other for more. They had kissed before but never had it been so intense and desperate. It may have lasted for a minute or maybe an hour, but it was the kind of kiss that merged their souls into one, leaving no room for mistrust. 

Icarus broke free to breathe before going at it again. She moaned when he nibbled on her neck, his tongue lapping at her creamy skin. That was going to leave a bruise but she didn't care as long as it brought her pleasure. He worked his way up her chin with open-mouthed kisses and captured her already swollen lips.

"God damn," Immanuel hollered. Icarus and Anaya sprung apart like they were struck by lightning. "Instead of lunch, you both are eating each other. Lisa is going to be heartbroken if you discard her world-famous chicken pot pie."

Nicholas, Mason, and Immanuel were standing at the doorway of the dining hall, grinning mischievously. Anaya felt her cheeks turn the shade of cherries when Immanuel wiggled his eyebrows at her. 

"Get out!" Icarus growled in response, moving to stand beside Anaya. His arms secured around her, drawing her into his chest. She shielded her face from them and took deep breaths. God, they'd been apart for a week and the familiarity of him was doing things to her. Good things. She wanted more.

"But man, we are starving," Nicholas said, his eyes directed towards the chicken pot pie as if he was summoning it to land in front of him.

Anaya knew they wouldn't leave, the exasperated groan from Icarus told her the same. He didn't want to wait and she understood that feeling. But she couldn't help it when she pulled back and smiled at the men. If they wanted lunch, so be it. Then, they'll be on their way and she will get to spend time with Icarus without disturbance. It sounded like a plan. "Come on, let's dig in then."

"Yes, you're the best!" They made their way towards the table and plopped down on the chairs. 

Icarus and Anaya looked at each other before joining them.

She felt a prickling sensation at the back of her neck, making her stiffen. She turned in her seat to find Casey at the top of the stairs, staring down at them with a hard expression.

What was her problem?