|53|

When Anaya agreed to procure the blood of the beast for her kingdom, little did she know that she was about to commit a grave mistake, not until she met Icarus, her mate

When Anaya agreed to procure the blood of the beast for her kingdom, little did she know that she was about to commit a grave mistake, not until she met Icarus, her mate. She had fallen head over heels for him. And who could blame her? He was the epitome of everything her heart desired—the kind of person for whom she was willing to go to any length to ensure his safety and happiness, even if it was at the cost of betraying her kind, for he deserved nothing less than the entire world.

"Casey! It's an emergency!" she yelled, her tone firm and resolute despite the fear that coiled her heart at the thought of losing Icarus.

There was a flash of orange before she appeared. Her eyes widened as she took in Anaya's haggard appearance. Though her time with Icarus had lightened her mood, her mind couldn't stop fretting over him. "What happened?"

"I am an idiot." Tears threatened to fall once again as she choked out the words. "I shouldn't have come here. I can't kill Icarus. He is my mate."

"Nonsense!" Casey gripped Anaya's shoulders and lifted her off the floor. "His true mate is out there somewhere. It's not you."

"He is mine." Anaya stared at her, trying to bury the rage that simmered inside her. His gaze, his touch, and his hold were the only truths in her life. She wouldn't let anyone question their relationship.

Casey shook her head. "You don't have a soulmate. You can choose anyone from your kingdom."

"Rasharaya deceived us. She knows Icarus is my mate, and only I can kill him," Anaya replied, her voice laced with despair. If it wasn't for her mother's deceit, she wouldn't have been plunged into this impossible situation.

"But..." Casey trailed off, her brows furrowed in distress. "Show me your mating mark."

Anaya acted without hesitation. She lifted her hair and guided Casey's hand to the spot on her neck where Icarus had left his mark. Her skin was warm to the touch, pulsing with a faint beat that echoed throughout her body. "This is impossible," she muttered under her breath, a look of dread washing over her face.

"Do you believe me now?"

She nodded, shaken by the unexpected turn of events. "I'm sorry. I didn't know the truth, so I was opposed to seeing you two together."

"It's okay."

"What do you want to do?"

Anaya let out a breath. It wasn't the time to be relieved, but knowing that Casey was by her side gave her strength to face whatever lay ahead. Her mate was a human, so she understood the gravity of their relationship more than others would. "I'm not sure, but I need to protect him."

Casey contemplated it, her expression turning solemn. "If only you can kill him, you have to stay away from him."

Anaya was already aware of it, but she was hoping for another solution. She couldn't bear to separate from Icarus. The thought made her stomach drop in agony. He completed her. His embrace made her feel at home; his touch stripped her bare of insecurities; and his searing kisses filled her heart with joy. But now was not the time to be selfish. She'd be damned if something happened to him. She had to do it. She loved him enough to let him go, to live for himself, his family, and his people. It didn't matter if the decision tore her to pieces. Tore them apart.