|41|

"Wake up," whispered a voice in her ear

"Wake up," whispered a voice in her ear. "Wake up, Anaya." 

She jolted awake and sat up in bed, her heart thumping heavily in the loud silence. Her gaze swept the room, and she frowned when she found it empty. She tried but failed to recall the voice as if it had all been a hallucination. Yes, that was it, Anaya thought with an audible sigh and got out of the bed. She padded to the bathroom, careful not to get her feet pierced by the splinters of wood. She splashed water on her face while staring at her reflection, which looked like someone else. She had dark circles beneath her eyes, and her sunken cheeks were devoid of color.

Hearing muffled footsteps outside her room, she held her breath. Mrs. Hans entered the room with Icarus and Immanuel. She watched them in the mirror, her fingers tightening around the towel until her knuckles turned white. It was only when Icarus took a step forward did she turn around, holding his gaze, wordlessly begging him to stop. He did not. He took another step, and she instinctively stepped back, crashing with the edge of the counter.

Icarus paused and turned to face Mrs. Hans. His expression was unreadable, but Anaya could tell he was mind-linking by the way their eyes clouded. Finally, he nodded and moved over to stand beside Immanuel.

"Luna," Mrs. Hans said, her voice coming out soft. "It's time for you to take your medicine."

Anaya walked into the room with a tentative demeanor and settled on the bed, staring up at Mrs. Hans expectantly. She handed Anaya a small bottle. "You need to take this every day. It will kick in after a few hours, but it's effective to alleviate your hallucinations."

Nodding, Anaya swallowed the pill and washed it down with a glass of water. "Thank you." 

Mrs. Hans smiled and exited the room, leaving Anaya with the two brothers. They looked at her like she was a delicate doll on the verge of breaking. Unnerved, she narrowed her eyes at them. "What?" 

"How do you feel?" Immanuel asked.

"I have been better," she snapped, but realizing her tone was harsh, she dropped her head against the pillow and pulled the comforter over her. "I don't feel too well. I would like to rest."

The message was loud and clear. She wanted to be left alone. But Icarus hesitated. His eyes locked on hers as he waited for her to tell him to stay.

Instead, she shifted her gaze towards the ceiling.

Immanuel flung his arm around Icarus' shoulder and ushered him out of the room. "When is the carpenter arriving to repair the doors?" 

"In the afternoon." 

"Oh, good..." 

Their voices faded as they descended the stairs. Anaya gulped the tightness in her throat and closed her eyes. She was nothing but a nuisance. How could she look after the werewolves when her life was in shambles? Pain surged through her, its invisible grip coiling around her stomach, knocking the breath out of her. She couldn't stop the tears from rolling down her cheeks.