|23|

Night had approached, covering the sky with a thick blanket of darkness, stars embedded in it in a haphazard manner

Night had approached, covering the sky with a thick blanket of darkness, stars embedded in it in a haphazard manner. Tall trees bounded the arena and the distinctive sound of owls hooting echoed in the air, which strangely had a calming effect on everyone, including Anaya who quietly sat beside Icarus on a wooden log.

She tried to keep her gaze focused on the only source of light, the bonfire, so high and bright as the yellow flames leapt and danced among themselves, but she couldn't stop glancing around. Initially, when she'd stepped into the ground with Icarus, she wanted to bolt out. It wasn't the fear this time but the actions of werewolves. They took public display of affection to a whole different level.

She'd thought they'd be waiting for her. There will be some sort of introduction after which they will either come forward to greet her or talk nonsense behind her back. But this was totally unexpected, mortifying more so because she couldn't stop staring at the couples who couldn't keep their hands off each other, completely ignoring everything else. The fact that they weren't shy told her this was normal for them.

Icarus chuckled at her reaction, mirth shining in his eyes. "Rude."

"How is it rude if they are in public?"

"They expect us to give them privacy."

Anaya frowned. That didn't make sense. Why not stay at home then? "I don't know. How can you not look when they are doing this!"

Icarus shook his head, trying not to laugh. "Don't be a prude. They are just having fun, kissing and making out is no big deal" 

"No big deal?" she screeched, then lowered her voice in case they heard and got offended. "That- that's unacceptable."

"Werewolves are very chilled out. We respect each other. I won't stare at someone who isn't my mate, and we all share the same mentality," he explained quietly. "I'm sorry. I should have given you a heads up. We can leave if you want."

That was true. Every pair minded their own business and they were fully clothed, which made her think if it was to put her at ease. "No, it's alright. It just surprised me, that's all."

He nodded and smiled down at her. "Come, let's get dinner."

"Here?" 

"Yeah, the ground is very big. You haven't seen the other half where others are hanging out."

True to his words, there were more werewolves here. They were chatting and drinking while a few men hovered over the stove in the far corner, cooking delicious meals if the mouthwatering aroma wasn't proof. Upon approaching them, she realized this side was a complete contrast to where they were before. Lanterns hung on the trees along with wired lights, illuminating the space beautifully. 

"Alpha, Luna, here!" Her eyes drifted off to the owner of the voice, beta Nicholas who was beaming at them. He sat with a couple of guys, one of which was Immanuel. Their eyes met and he smiled at her.