|36|

Turn the handle anti-clockwise twice, then press the centre switch, Icarus had instructed before leaving to freshen up

Back in the castle, the werewolves had departed to their allocated rooms. It had surprised Anaya when they didn't shift into their human form right in the hall room, before her eyes. Icarus had said they didn't want to cause her any discomfort, which she found to be a very thoughtful gesture.

She tried the lock for the second time, failing. Icarus' room was adjacent to hers, separated by a wall but joined by the door behind the bookshelf. She felt like she was in one of those historical drama studios. The set up gave similar vibes. It made her wonder about the other secrets the castle held, and how much time it would take her to uncover them all. Decades, she guessed and shook her head.

As if she would be here till then.

Her spine straightened, and she felt disturbed by the notion of death. If her speculation was correct, Icarus was immortal. He would lose her at some point. She tugged at the lock again, giving it a harsh push, and this time, to her luck, it opened with a 'click'.

She let out a breath and entered his room, urging her mind to ignore the thought of separation that was bound to happen and focus on the present. The remarkable time she had with Icarus in the woods flashed in her mind. At first, she'd feared falling and breaking her bones but knowing he would protect her, she'd closed her eyes and let the breeze caress her. She had smelled the earth; the various elements blending to give a scent that felt oddly soothing. The child within her had soared, giddy and carefree. She hadn't been able to stop the smile that stretched across her face.

"Thank you, Icarus. I had so much fun!" She wanted to say that to him earlier. But as soon as they were inside the room, he had shifted and she had lost her ability to speak, thrown off by his naked glory. He hadn't even bothered to cover himself, finding it amusing when she kept her gaze on the door.

The deafening silence made her turn towards him, and she was unsurprised to find him sprawled on the couch. She knew the two hours run had tired him, but his ego didn't let him admit it. She tip-toed towards him, her eyes trailing down his chest to his toned stomach and the dips of his hips. Desire scorched within her, and she swallowed, thankful for the pants that covered his lower half because when it came to him, her senses clouded and the impulse to touch him surfaced.

Leaning to his level, she blew air on his face. His eyelashes fluttered, but his eyes remained shut. She stifled a giggle and readied herself to do it again, only halting with her mouth agape when his arms circled her waist and pulled her against his solid chest.

"Fun, huh?" He planted a kiss on her lips, and all she could do was melt into him.

"Loved every bit of it." Her eyes zeroed on the locket around his neck, and she grasped it between her fingers. "Let me guess- Grandma gave it to you?"