|44|

The first rays of sunlight spilled through the open windows, enveloping the room in an orange glow

The first rays of sunlight spilled through the open windows, enveloping the room in an orange glow. It was enough to jolt Anaya from her deep slumber. She rubbed her eyes with the back of her hands to erase the lingering drowsiness before shifting in Icarus' arms to face him. Her lips curved into a smile, and she couldn't stop reminiscing last night. The sensations he evoked were far more intense than what she'd experienced before her coronation. Those thoughts made her heart pound, and she was acutely aware of the butterflies swimming in her belly, forcing her to untangle herself from Icarus before she disturbed his sleep. She stretched her arms and rolled out of the bed, ignoring the protests her body made at the effort.

He groaned as soon as warmth left, reaching out for her.

She leaned down to plant a kiss on his forehead. "Go back to sleep."

Her stomach growled but shower felt much more appealing than breakfast, so she took her sweet time under the warm water, lathering her skin with the scented soap and letting the tiredness wash away. She tied the robe around her and brushed her teeth with the spare toothbrush she found in one of the cabinets before stepping back into the room.

Icarus was still asleep, which wasn't surprising at all. She admired his relaxed frame, feeling the urge to thread her fingers through his tousled hair, but she didn't want to awake him. With a content sigh, she made her way to the kitchen that rewarded her with a beautiful view of the waterfall when she looked out the window. While the sound of water swishing and sloshing played in the background, she gathered the ingredients required to make cheese omelet, waffles, and coffee. She was so engrossed in the task at hand that she hadn't heard Icarus approach her until his arms went around her waist and he buried his face in the crook of her neck.

She let out a little squeak in surprise and turned around. "Hey."

"Hi." He placed an open-mouthed kiss against her mark, causing her to shiver. "Does it hurt?"

"Not after you healed it."

"Good." His hands glided from her waist to the knots of her robe, undoing it, all the while his eyes never leaving hers.

"Uh-huh." She grabbed his hands before he could take it any further. "Let's eat first."

"I was about to do just that."

Despite the color rising on her cheeks, she gestured to the food she'd prepared. He looked over her shoulder at the different plates she'd propped on the counter and arched his brow. "Did you cook?"

"Who else? Sit."

He pulled her along with him, positioning her on his lap. She sliced the omelet and offered it to him. He eyed it for a good minute with skepticism written all over his face. "Should I inform the healer?"

She elbowed him in the stomach, frowning. "Fine. Don't try. I get to eat more."

"I was joking." He opened his mouth, taking a bite and nodding with a hum of satisfaction. "It's delicious."