|58|

Icarus tightened his grip around Anaya's waist as they ascended the stairs to the upper floor of the bar

Icarus tightened his grip around Anaya's waist as they ascended the stairs to the upper floor of the bar. It felt as if he could sense the whirlwind of thoughts racing through her mind. Glancing up at him, she caught his intense stare and quickly averted her gaze, determined not to let his brown eyes sway her resolve. She knew she had to stay focused on her plan, no matter how difficult it was.

Upon reaching the top of the stairs, the room opened up before them, revealing a gathering of familiar faces. Anaya's heart skipped a beat as they smiled and outstretched their arms in a welcoming embrace. She and Icarus returned the gesture, relishing the momentary respite from their inner conflicts. Nicholas tipped his head toward Icarus and headed toward the dance floor, blatantly ignoring Anaya's presence. She couldn't understand his anger toward her.

Immanuel greeted them with his trademark larger-than-life smile, seemingly oblivious to the tension simmering between Anaya and Icarus. He gestured for the waiter to set down the glasses and then leave.

"What do you think?" he asked, joining Ellie on the couch.

Anaya forced a smile on her face and surveyed the room. The dim lighting cast a hazy glow over the revelers, adding an air of mystery to the scene. Intricate murals adorned the walls, depicting mythical creatures and fantastical landscapes. The scent of freshly poured drinks mingled with the heady perfume of excitement, creating an intoxicating atmosphere. People stood closely, their enthusiasm infectious. They swayed to the rhythm of the music, their laughter and animated conversations blending into a joyful cacophony. Anaya took note of the various exits that might come in handy later. Her plan depended on slipping away unnoticed, disappearing into the night, and leaving Icarus behind.

"It's incredible," she replied, infusing her voice with warmth, despite the turmoil brewing within her.

"Yeah? Thanks!" Immanuel beamed with pride. Ellie smiled and planted a kiss on his lips.

Anaya couldn't shake off the dissonance between the external joy and the internal torment that plagued her as she observed their interactions. She realized that breaking free from Icarus meant severing connections with everyone. But she couldn't tie him down to her, not when her kingdom was after him. She wanted him to live the way he did before she arrived and disrupted everything.

She turned to Icarus, noticing that he looked no better than her. "I need to use the restroom."

"I'll come with you."

"It's fine," she said, gently squeezing his hand. "I can go."

He nodded reluctantly and watched her leave.

Anaya hurried downstairs, navigating through the crowded bar. Tears welled up in her eyes, and a hollow emptiness settled in her chest. She let out a ragged breath and glanced at the door — only ten steps away, and she could be out of his life.

"Going somewhere?" He closed the distance between them and spun her around to face him.

Startled, she blinked up at him, unable to speak. He gripped her hips and yanked her into his chest, his mouth descending upon hers. The kiss was excruciating—hard, desperate, and demanding. He didn't give her a chance to pull away as he pressed her against the nearest wall. She whimpered and wrapped her arms around his neck when he nibbled on her bottom lip, coaxing her mouth to open for his invading tongue.