Chapter 2

Christina

"You are going to have such a great time." Ruby excitedly jabbered while dumping the suitcase on the curb.

"I really don't think so, Ruby. I'm just going over to help take care of my uncle. Are you sure you are going to be ok without me helping out?"

Ruby scoffed, "I don't need your slacker ass here. All you would be doing is sitting and moping on the couch while I worked on my very important project."

"Googling Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth is not a very important project. I wouldn't just be sitting on the couch either." Christina glared at her best friend. "I'd move to my bed, the chair and the couch."

Ruby walked over to the curb and gave Christina a big hug. "I'm going to miss you, freak. Let me know if there are any hot guys over there. I may have to come visit you." She whispered.

"I doubt I will have time to ogle any hot guys, but if I find any I will give them your number. I'll miss you too, shorty. See you when I get back." Christina picked up her bags and walked to doors of the airport.

"Don't be afraid to get freaky over there! Have fun!" Ruby yelled and waved before jumping into her car and pulling away. Christina sighed and began her long wait for her flight over to London.

While sitting in the uncomfortable plastic chairs of the airport, Christina put the book she was reading back into her carry-on and people watched. Her mind drifted to a couple days ago when, after talking to Ruby, she decided to go.

Ruby bounced around the small apartment singing off key to the newest pop song. Christina watched her best friend dance around with a rhythm all her own. Ruby wore rainbow leggings and a t-shirt that said Taste the rainbow with a unicorn throwing up a rainbow. Christina was busy filling out another application for an entry level position at a company she had no interest in working at.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Ruby shouted forgetting she had headphones in.

"Geez, Ruby, take the headphones out." I yelled back while rubbing her ear.

"Oops. Sorry. What are you doing?" She sat down on the couch looking at the laptop screen.

"Applying to another job."

"You mean you are applying to another job you are terribly over qualified for and shouldn't have to stoop to apply to? Is that what you're doing?"

"Unfortunately, yes. I'm still not getting any bites." Christina sighed.

"Why are you even doing that now? You need to be packing." She got up and walked to the kitchen. "Stop torturing yourself and go get ready to have an adventure." Her voice muffled as she scrounged around the kitchen for a snack.

"I know, but I figured if I got a great opportunity at the last minute I would stay."

Christina heard a bang followed by curses. Ruby came around the corner of the kitchen pointing her finger and carrying a bag of chips. "You are going! If I have to shove your stubborn ass on the plane myself, you are going."

Christina sighed.

"Look, I know you aren't looking at this as a vacation or even as an opportunity to re-energize. But, with what happened, I think this is exactly what you need. This will give you a chance to see if this is what you still want to do or if there is something different out there for you. I know that having been fired from All Star Management has been a blow for you. You are not the Christina I went to college with. I don't think you realize how much this job changed you. I think going to London right now will help you find her again. The worst that comes from this is that you get a stamp in your passport and you come back here to the same applications. The best is that you find a really hot football player, get married, have beautiful babies and have an extra room for your single bestie." She said the last part with a terrible British accent.

Christina gave a small smile and hugged Ruby making sure she didn't come in contact with her greasy fingers. "Well, that's wishful thinking isn't it."

"Absolutely!" Ruby nodded adamantly and fixed her crooked glasses.

Christina stood up, grabbed a chip from the protesting Ruby and walked over to her room to pack. This trip could be good. As long as she took her laptop she could apply to jobs while she was there. If anything, she could stalk her former co-workers on Facebook to see what was going on. Didn't that just spell pathetic. Shrugging to herself, Christina proceeded to dig out her suitcases from her closet and pack it full of comfortable clothes. There were definitely no plans on meeting anyone while she was there. It would be a strictly humanitarian trip. Take care of her uncle, see her cousins and then come home. Nothing more. Nothing less.

London calling to the faraway towns. Now war is declared, and battle come down. London calling to the underworld. Christina's attention was ripped from her reminiscence and drawn to the song coming out of her carry-on. Digging through her bag she answered without looking at who was calling.

"Hello Uncle James."

"Hello, Lovely. How is my favorite niece?"

"I'm sitting in an incredibly uncomfortable chair in the airport getting ready to visit this sickly old man." Christina smiled.

"Old Man! I'll show you old when you get here, ducky. What time are you expected to arrive?" He coughed before she could answer.

"Are you ok, Uncle James?"

"Just a bit of a cold. Nothing a nip or two of whiskey wouldn't help. So what time will your plane arrive?" He persisted.

"Isn't a cold bad for you in your condition? My plane should be in around 8am your time. When I come in I'll get a taxi to your house."

"Are you daft, girl? Your cousin Dex will be meeting you there. When you get here expect to see the whole family. I can't wait to see you, ducky. Your aunt and I have missed you."

"Uncle James, are you sure it's a good idea for a big get together? Wouldn't it be better for you to rest? We could just see everyone a little later."

A beat of silence went by, "Uh yes. My health will benefit some time with you and your cousins. I will see you soon. Kisses."

Christina sat in the uncomfortablechair and looked down at the now blank phone in her hand. Her uncle was acting really strange. She hoped that her dad wasn't playing downUncle James' condition. It seemed shewould have her work cut out with a patient like him. Christina was still thinking about her unclewhen her flight was called to start boarding. Picking up her carry-on she stood in the line waiting for the longflight ahead.