Chapter 24

Christina

Wearing a simple suit, Christina wiped her sweaty palms on her skirt. It was her first day back to work. She'd barely slept the night before. Unfortunately, that wasn't because of nerves. The nightmares since she woke in that hospital bed have been plaguing her.

It was the same dream every time. She was happy. Waiting for her love to come to her. Then she is thrown on the ground. Pain fills every cell in her body. She tries to scream but she has no voice. Many hands pin her down. Forcing her to do things she will only do for her love. Then all of a sudden the darkness is gone. She feels relief and begins to stand. The minute she stands the darkness is back and this time it doesn't stop. It consumes her until she wakes panting and sweating.

Before her parents went back to America, they convinced her to join group therapy. It was to help those who had gone through things like hers. At first she couldn't bring herself to share. She felt alone in the group. Until the day before Finley stepped back into her life. She shared her story during that group session. She was lucky compared to others in the group. She felt like she was finally starting to heal by taking that one step. Sharing her story allowed her to open up. To heal the hurt that Garrett caused. Christina had been going to that group for the past month and she realized that it was time to start her life back up. Agreeing to go out with Finley was her first step. Going back to work was the next step in taking her life back.

"Christina. I'm so glad you're back." Magda said tentatively.

"I'm glad to be back. Ready to get back to work?" Christina asked with a bit of a nervous waver in her voice.

Magda let Christina into her office and carried her coffee for her over to her desk. "I will let you get settled."

"Thank you, Magda." Christina sat at her desk and looked around. Nothing had changed while she was gone but it felt different.

A knock drew her attention back to the door. "I'm sorry to disturb you so soon, but these were just dropped off."

A beautiful mix of roses and carnations were in a crystal vase. "They are beautiful. Did they say who they were from?"

"There is a card with the flowers." Magda smiled after setting the arrangement on her desk. She quietly left and shut the door behind her.

Christina opened the card:

Welcome back, Dove! I know you will do great today.

You make me so proud. Can't wait to see you Friday night.

XOXO

Finley

Smiling she reached into her purse to retrieve her phone.

Christina: Thank you for the beautiful flowers.

Finley: They are no where near as beautiful as you.

She blushed and looked around making sure no one could see her.

Christina: Well, aren't you being sweet today.

Finley: I'm sweet every day.

Christina: I doubt you are sweet on the Rugby pitch.

Finley: I have some sweet moves.

Christina rolled her eyes at his message.

Christina: Ugh! That was a horrible joke.

Finley: Yeah but I bet you laughed.

Finley: I can't wait to see you Friday. This is going to be the longest week.

Christina: You are at a tournament trying to qualify for semi-finals. I doubt I will be on your mind.

Finley: You are always on my mind.

Christina. Ok. I have to get back to work. I will talk to you later.

Finley: Later, dove.

Christina stood and looked at the flowers. They were the same from their first date. Taking a quick picture she sent it to Ruby. Her phone rang almost instantly playing the song from 8 mile.

"Hi Ruby."

"Who sent you those?"

"Who do you think?"

"Finley?"

"Of Course, Finley."

Ruby was unusually quiet. "What's wrong, Ruby?"

"Nothing. I'm just happy for you. If he makes you happy that is all that matters. I just can't help but wonder why he is sending you flowers. I hope it's because he likes you and not that he feels bad."

Crinkling her brow, Christina studied the flowers. "They are the same flowers he gave me on our first date. I don't think that is a coincidence."

"I know Christina. I just don't want you getting hurt again. You've been through so much already."

"Thank you for looking out, Ruby. I think I will be fine with Finley. "

***

The week passed by quicker than expected. She and Finley texted and phoned while he was away. The more they communicated the more she found herself drawn to him. His deep voice made her feel at ease. Finley sent her flowers two more times throughout the week. Finishing up her work for the week, Simon knocked on her door drawing her attention from the file she was looking at.

"Christina, do you have a moment? I know you are probably ready for the weekend."

"For you, Simon, always." She waved him over to her chairs.

"Were you planning on going to the semi-final game on Saturday?" He asked.

"I hadn't decided. Why?"

"While you were gone we put together something with one of the charities and we need someone to be there. I figured since your cousins were playing you'd already be there. But, if you aren't I can see if Magda could go."

Christina thought for a moment. She knew Magda's son was home for the weekend from university. "Of course, I can go. Is there anything you need me to do?"

"You only need to be there to point people in the right direction. Here is all the information." Simon handed her a folder that had the words Silver Star kids on the front.

"This is the charity Finley Wilson wanted to be involved in."

"Yes."

"What are we doing?"

"We are just bringing a bunch of the kids on the pitch before the game. Next season, we want to do that with a lot of the charities we work with. It's a good way to get their name out there and bring our association with them out in the open."

"Ok. I will be there." Christina smiled.

Simon got up to leave and looked at the flowers around her office and smirked. "Nice flowers."

Christina watched Simon leave then looked at the folder in her hands. She quickly read through the papers in the folder. Nothing was out of the ordinary. Putting it to the side, she packed up her things. She had a date to get ready for.