Chapter 5

Christina

After the big welcome, everyone sat around the dining room and caught up on lives. Christina learned that Imogen had married an up and coming barrister, Harrison, who was always too busy for family events. The second part was whispered to her by Dex. Liam and Dex played professional rugby for the team Uncle James helped manage. Jude was a pediatric oncologist who played rugby on the weekends. Tamsin was finishing university but has had success as a painter. Christina didn't need to update everyone on her situation because apparently her dad and uncle had been gossiping like a bunch of old ladies.

"So, back to the issue. Christina has never seen a rugby match. This has to be remedied. " Liam said sitting on the step leading into the backyard.

"Why is this an issue?"

"Because, dear cousin, Liam and Dex are affronted by anyone who isn't a fan of the sport, played the sport or seen the sport." Jude said smirking at his brothers.

"Hey! I just think – Oof" Dex grunted as Bella kicked him in the side while riding her uncle like a horse.

"Bella! I told you that your uncles are not real horses. Stop kicking them in the sides or you will no longer be allowed to play horsey with them." Imogen scolded.

"Sorry, Unkie Dexy." Bella said petting her uncle.

"Look, why doesn't Chris come with us tomorrow to watch the match. She can sit with me and Bella in the family seats. How does that sound?" Imogen said looking at Christina.

"Sure. I'm up for it. I don't know anything about it though."

"Don't worry Christina. I will explain everything." Bella said climbing into her lap. "All you need to know is that Unkie Dexy and Liam are the best. Isn't that right, Pop?"

Uncle James was standing just outside the door to the kitchen. "That's right sweetums. Though the way they ate today they might be a little slow tomorrow."

"Aww...da." Liam cried out after popping a cookie in his mouth.

***

Christina unpacked her bags in the spare bedroom of her aunt and uncle's house. She remembered the room from when she visited with her parents when she was little. Her mind began to wonder back to her life in Chicago. Or rather the life she used to have in Chicago. Just when her melancholy started to get the best of her, her phone rang out with Ruby's ringtone.

"Hey, shorty."

"Christina! I've missed you."

"How the hell could you miss me when I haven't even been gone for twenty-four hours?"

"It's only been that long. Geez. So, tell me...any hot guys?"

"Good lord, Ruby. Keep it in your pants. I've only seen my cousins and even though I am in another country I think there are rules against that kind of thing. Though for you, they would probably be considered hot."

"Hmm...I may just have to come over there for a visit."

"I'd love that. Oh, and let me tell you. My dad and uncle came up with this elaborate plan to get me over here. My uncle isn't even sick. How messed up is that?"

Silence filled the phone.

"Ruby? You still there?" Christina looked at her phone and saw she had service and full battery.

"Uh...Yeah. I'm still here. That's horrible. I can't believe they did that." She said with a strange tone in her voice.

"Why do you sound funny?"

"Oh, it's nothing...I'm...uh...just having sex with a really sexy and rich man. It's really good."

"Yeah right, Ruby. What the hell aren't you saying?"

Sighing she said, "Um...I may or may not have had a hand on getting you over there?"

What? "What? What did you do?"

"Chris...you were in a bad place. I couldn't sit around and watch you sink lower. I know all about the job rejections and the horrible emails you got. You needed to be out of Chicago for a while. I called your dad concerned. From there it was all your uncle and dad."

"You have got to be kidding. So even my best friend betrayed me. I can't believe this. You of all people."

"Yes! Me of all people because it's my job as your friend to take care of you when you won't take care of yourself. You would never have asked for help or even admit you needed to get away from this disaster. Chris, hate me if you want but I don't regret helping you. I'm sorry I lied to you, but I can't say I regret getting you away from this mess."

Betrayal burned through Christina. "I have to go." Before Ruby could respond, Christina ended the call and threw the phone on the bed.