Chapter 16

Christina

Christina's first month with the Wyvern's was uneventful. Her position as the manager of charitable relations with players started out slow. Being a new position, she had to begin from the ground up. Getting to know the team she would be working with and the other managers of related departments took time. After a month, she finally felt like she had her feet under her and could really start organizing the players activities and promoting certain activities for them to participate. She was ready to get moving when Simon called her into his office.

"Christina, please have a seat." He motioned toward the chair in front of his desk.

"Good morning, Simon."

"It appears you have finally gotten settled. Do you feel ready to really get started?"

"That was actually my plan today. I had some really exciting ideas."

"That's great, but you are going to have to put that on the back burner for right now. I need you to work with one of our players immediately. He's found a charity he wants to start working with but needs some guidance on what he should do and how we can help facilitate it."

"That sounds great. What is the charity?"

"It's a newly founded charity. It partners kids of deployed parents with a volunteer. They do activities with the kids and help them maintain contact with their deployed parent. Its called Silver Star Kids."

"Who wants to get involved with them?"

"Finley Wilson"

"Finley Wilson?"

"Yes. I've actually asked him to meet us here so we can talk about what he wants to do." Simon pressed an intercom button and asked his secretary to send in Finley.

A minute later, Finley strode into the office wearing a suit that fit him so well it made her lady parts stand up at attention. He was freshly shaven and as he walked closer Christina could smell the cologne he wore. It made her salivate. She forced herself to face Simon and not look at the delicious man candy sitting next to her.

"Finley, this is Christina Scott. She is now responsible for all our charity relationships between non-profits and players. She will be working with you to get established with the Silver Star Kids."

"Nice to meet you, Christina." Finley put his hand out. When Christina didn't take it right away he raised his eyebrow in question and smirked.

Putting her hand in Finley's she felt a shock run straight to her core. She looked into his eyes. A fire that wasn't there before looked back.

"Nice to meet you, too." Christina's voice came out more sultry than she wanted.

"Now that the two of you have met I'm going to let you get down to planning what comes next. Christina will take you to her office. If you need anything from me let me know, Christina."

Christina swallowed, nodded to Simon and stood to leave the office.

Walking back to her office all Christina could think about was how good the man walking with her looked. How good he smelled. How his one touch electrified her senses. How terribly awkward things were going to be working with him. When they got to her office she let him in and shut the door behind them.

"So, Finley you want to work with Silver Star Kids. What drew you to this charity?"

"You look good, Christina. Why haven't you returned any of my texts or calls? I thought we were at least going to be friends. You haven't even come to any of our matches."

"I'd rather talk about the charity."

"I know you would but for us to work together I need to know why you ghosted me."

Christina sighed. "You aren't going to work unless we talk are you?"

"Nope."

"Fine. I've been busy with this new job, finding a new place to live and getting my life back in order. Can we work now?"

"Not yet. You are staying here now? You aren't going back to Chicago?"

"I am staying here at least for the foreseeable future. My best friend moved over here and we are back to being roommates again."

"I'm happy for you. You seem like you fit here. As for your question, you know how I got interested in this charity. It was the day we met Bertie and his mom."

"Really?"

"Yes. Now, I have one more question for you. Will you have dinner with me?"

"A working dinner, sure."

"Not a working dinner. A date, Christina. I want to take you out on a proper date."

"Uhm. I don't think that is a good idea. I'm not interested in dating anyone."

"Come on, Christina. One date won't kill you." Finley stood and walked toward her.

"I know you feel what I feel." He stepped closer forcing her to move away from him.

"I see that fire in your eyes when you look at me." Christina stepped back again feeling the wall behind her.

"The desire on your face, the way your chest heaves with every breath as you look at me and the way you lick your lips sets me on fire." He stopped inches away from her. She could smell the peppermint and coffee as his breath feathered her face.

"You take my breath away, Christina. Give me a chance, please." He reached up and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

Staring into his blue depths she felt hypnotized. "Yes." She said breathlessly.

He smirked showing a dimple in his cheek. "Good. Now, let's get to work."

Finley stepped back and sat in one of the chairs across from her desk. Christina pulled herself together and sat across from him. "Let's get started."

Christina and Finley mapped out a plan and a goal. Throughout the discussion, Finley would find ways to touch her hand or brush against her. The fire never died in his eyes and Christina made sure to avoid eye contact for fear she'd jump him right in her office. All of his looks said he wouldn't stop her if she did. Walking him to the elevators, Christina could feel the heat pouring off of him. He stopped and turned to her while waiting for the elevator.

"Seven tonight. I'll pick you up at your flat."

"Wait, how do you know I don't already have plans."

"Do you?"

Christina bit her lip and looked at him.

"Christina, I want a date tonight. I don't want to give you time to think of reasons not to go out with me."

She smiled and nodded.

He leaned forward and kissed her cheek. "See you at seven, dove."