Chapter 10

Christina

Riding the train into London was a wonderous experience. Of all the times her family came to visit they never took the train. Watching the English countryside zoom by was almost as enchanting as her conversation with Finley. He told her stories about his childhood, his family and his team. There was never a lull in the conversation. It felt as if they'd known each other forever.

"Ready for the next part of our adventure?" Finley said helping her up and quickly dropping her hand.

"Lead on."

As they strode through the streets of London, Christina felt herself being drawn into the city and the people. While walking to their next destination, they stopped into a shop that caught her eye. It was a small used book store that she wanted to explore. Reading had always been a passion. It was a passion that not many of her former boyfriends or even her family shared.

"I may be awhile." Christina warned.

"Take your time, dove. I've always wanted to browse this little shop."

Wandering through the shop, she drifted from aisle to aisle. She loved bookshops. Especially ones that carried old books. The smell of the paper and leather bindings relaxed her. She found her self being drawn into a few books she couldn't help but hold onto. Walking up to the counter with her hands full, she placed them in a pile in front of the cash register. Through her exploration she hadn't seen anyone working so she rang the bell on the counter.

"One minute."

"Find anything good?" Finley asked behind her making her jump. "Jumpy thing, aren't you?"

"Only when someone decides to walk around like a ninja and then pop up like a jack in the box."

Before Finley could answer her, an older woman walked briskly up to the counter. She wore her salt and pepper gray hair in a bob, glasses propped on top of her head and a warn sweater that had seen better days. Her smile showed laugh lines that have been well used and sparkling hazel eyes that belied her age. "Hello Dear. I am sorry for my delay. I was doing inventory on some new books and found myself reading them instead of counting them." She let out a little giggle that made Christina smile.

"I could easily see myself doing that if I owned a book store. This shop is amazing."

"Thank you dear. It is my pride and joy. That is other than my children, Jane and Oliver. My dear William, god rest his soul, hated coming with me here. He always knew I'd find a new book to be wrapped up in and he'd lose me for most of the day."

"Did you name your children after literary characters?"

"Good catch, miss. I couldn't help myself. Austin and Dickens are two of my favorite writers. Now, I tend to read more romance than anything else. Today's authors don't hold back. Especially with the scenes that get my heart racing and ideas for my bedroom. I'm sure you don't have to worry about that with this young man."

Christina blushed. "We are just friends."

"Really. That's a shame. Seems like a waste to me. Though I am one to talk. My William and I started out as friends. We couldn't do that for long though. The sparks between us would have set this store on fire." She said wistfully.

"Do you miss him?"

"Oh yes dear. I will see him again soon."

"I am sorry for your loss. But, I hope you don't rush to see him anytime soon."

"What do you mean dear?"

"Well, you seem like a really nice lady and I hope that I will be able to come back to see you again soon." Christina hedged not wanting to come out and say the elephant in the room.