Chapter 11

Finley

Ever since their time at the Tower of London, Christina seemed quieter. He could tell she was enjoying herself, but something was different. His thoughts kept going back to the little boy they met. He loved when he got a chance to meet young fans. They were really why he did what he did. The excitement when they got a signature or just a high-five always made his day. Many of his teammates felt the same. But, there were some that just ignored them and focused on the wenches. That always made his blood boil. He would mentally note them and make sure they paid for it in the next practice.

"It is so pretty up here." Christina said with awe.

"It is now." Finley said watching Christina blush but keep her gaze averted to the London skyline.

They had made their way to the London Eye. After their time at the Tower of London, they ate at one of his favorite fish and chips shops. The conversation flowed between them. The more he talked to Christina the more he knew friends was not what he wanted. He was being drawn to her even more now than before. Finley knew it had to be Christina who pursued it. She clearly had a wall up and as much as he wanted to plow right through it he knew he couldn't.

"Have you had a good day, dove?"

"It's been a tremendous day, Finley." She smiled at him.

"Would you want to do something again?" He saw her tense and quickly added, "As friends of course."

"Ummm...I guess we could." She said hesitantly.

"You could invite your cousins too if that would make you feel better."

Laughing, she looked at him. "We will see. I liked just being with you. It has been a long time since I had a male friend. I have my best friend, Ruby, back home but she's really my only friend."

"You talked about her earlier. I'm sure you miss her."

"I do. She'd love it here. She'd also go crazy over all the Rugby boys."

"Boys? I know you aren't talking about me." He nudged her.

Giggling, Christina said, "Well maybe not you, but definitely my cousins."

"Definitely those wankers." That brought a giggle from her again.

Finley found himself gravitating closer to her. When his side brushed hers, he heard her suck in a breath and stiffen. Looking at her reflection in the glass of the London Eye, he saw her chest rising and falling. His eyes met hers in the reflection and they stood there staring at each other in the glass. When the London Eye stopped Christina looked away and exited the car.

***

"How was your date?" Rory said sitting next to him.

"It wasn't a date." Finley looked around quickly. "Don't say that too loud." Finley lifted a dumbbell over his head.

"I thought you liked her." Rory grabbed a weight and walked it to the bench press.

"I do, but she just wants to be friends. Something happened when we went out and now she won't talk to me."

"Did you do something?"

Shrugging, "No clue."

"Come spot me. Maybe you should ask Dex or Liam?"

"I don't bloody think so. Dex hates the idea of me with her. Liam, maybe, but they act like wankers half the time." Finley spotted Rory as he lifted the weight.

"I could ask Imogen." Rory ground out.

Finley squinted at him. "That would be great. Do you think she'd tell you anything?"

"Don't know til I ask."

"Ok."

Finley and Rory lifted and ran on treadmills for the next hour. Finley couldn't get Christina out of his head. Their day together was special. He wanted more days together. If Rory could get information out of Imogen, then maybe he could come up with another plan to see her again. Christina was quickly becoming an obsession that he couldn't quit.

Heading to the locker room, they ran into Dex and Liam. As they approached, Finley could already tell Dex had something on his mind. Resigning himself to another confrontation he stopped and waited for him to approach him.

"What the bloody hell did you do to my cousin?" Dex yelled approaching him.

"I don't know what you are talking about, Scott." Finley crossed his arms.

"She hasn't been herself since she spent the day with you. I know you did something." Dex shoved him.

Liam stepped between them and put a hand out to Dex. "Dex you need to stop."

"I'd listen to your brother, Scott."

"Move, Liam!"

"No, Dex. You are not getting suspended because of something stupid. You haven't even talked to Christina. Why are you assuming it's Wilson?"

Dex glared at his brother and walked away.

"Sorry, Finley. I don't know why he's so protective of her. You would think she was our sister." Liam jogged after his brother into the weight room.

"Well that was fun." Rory said and strode into the locker room.

Finley looked back at the weight room and wondered if he should just confront Dex now. What good would it do when Christina wouldn't even talk to him? Sighing he turned and walked into the locker room.

Unexpected (Winchester Wyverns #1)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara