Chapter 30

Christina

"Hey Christina!" Liam hugged her when she came through the door.

"What are you doing here, Scott?" Finley asked.

"He's here with me." Kate smiled at Liam.

"Are you bloody kidding me right now? Do you know anything about this wanker? I hope you didn't sleep with him last night. You don't want to know the places his knob's been." Finley ranted.

"Oh, give it a rest, Finley. I will shag whoever I want." She caressed Liam's upper arm.

Liam gave Kate a strange look then burst out laughing. "You really bought it. You really are too easy to fool."

"Kate are you torturing your brother again?" Finley's mother came out of an adjoining room.

"Mum! He was pulling the big brother card. I couldn't help it." Kate said.

"You didn't sleep with Liam?" Finley said with a furrowed brow.

"No. Gah. I am not that easy. Liam was kind enough to drive me home last night. When we got home mum and da invited him to stay the night and have brunch with us in the morning."

Christina saw Finley visibly relax.

Jana Wilson walked over and gave a hug to Christina then Finley. A whirlwind came from behind Jana, Sioban O'Leary. All 5'2 of her came crashing at both of them. Hugging them both fiercely she pulled back and appraised them.

"What is different?" She said to Finley.

"Nothing, Gran."

"That is pure shite there, boy. Tell me." Everyone looked at the two of them.

Finley shrugged and looked to Christina for help.

"We are officially dating now?" Christina guessed.

"Hmm," she picked up Christina's left hand. "What does that American singer say if you want it put a ring on it or some such thing. Where is the ring, Finley Ryan?"

Finley blushed. "Gran, I just convinced her to date me. I think marriage and rings are a bit early."

Christina nodded agreement. Their spectators started giggling.

"Oh, piss on that. You need to move on this girl or she'll slip through your fingers." His Gran waggled her finger at him.

A visibly uncomfortable Finley started to fidget.

"Jana Marie, talk some sense into your son." She scolded Finley's mom.

"Mum! Stop pushing them or you are gonna drive this poor girl away."

Shrugging, Finley's Gran grabbed Christina's hand and dragged her toward the kitchen. Looking back toward the group in the hall, she saw them laughing.

***

Brunch with the Wilson's was an experience Christina would never forget. Sioban was a severe task master when helping in the kitchen. Talking a mile, a minute, she only got some of what she was talking about. Christina looked to Jana for an explanation, but she just shrugged then went about her own tasks. She was sure to never just agree to what the feisty woman said. Her mind was a steel trap and she liked to try to trick you into agreeing to things.

Fineas and Robert, Finley's granddad and dad, stayed clear of the kitchen. In fact, you'd think there was a plague of some kind in the kitchen that needed to be avoided at all cost. Kate was the only other person willing to brave it.

The food and conversation were relaxed. A few times his gran would go on a tear about Christina and Finley. Christina smiled then squeezed Finley's hand that was on her thigh. He would grin when his Gran was particularly nosey. When Finley and Kate argued about something they did when they were kids, Liam leaned in next to her and whispered.

"Talk to Ruby today?"

"Yes."

"How is she?"

"She's all over the place. I don't know if she is going to forgive him."

"I wouldn't blame her if she didn't. He's an idiot for doing it."

"Were you with him?" Christina asked.

Liam sighed. "Yes and no. I was at the bar that night, but I met my own companion. I saw him with her, but I didn't think it would go so far as it apparently did."

Christina shook her head. "It's just going to have to be something they work out or give up."

"From his texts and voicemails, he isn't giving up."

"I told him to give her time. Ugh! He's an idiot."

Liam laughed. "Yep. But he's our idiot." He swung his arm around her shoulders and they laughed together.

The meal part of the Sunday brunch ended smoothly with the men doing the dishes while the women supervised. When dishes were all completed, the group moved to the living room and pulled out board games. Christina thought the Scott's were competitive. They had nothing on the Wilsons and O'Learys. Ruthless Sioban beat everyone at Monopoly and Scrabble. Christina knew it was time to call it a day when they threatened to get out the deck of cards. She wasn't going bet anything with this family.

"Did you have fun today?" Finley asked on the way back to her apartment.

"I did." She smiled and looked at their linked hands.

"You realize you are now expected at all of the Wilson family meals, parties and anything else they can think of."

"I got that impression when your Gran said, "You will be here next week". Christina said in her best Irish accent.

"Beside her telling you, I really want you to." He lifted their linked hands kissing her knuckles.

"I want to be there too."