Chapter 4

Christina

Christina never knew what it was like to have a big family. It has only ever been her and her parents. Walking into the Scott family home was an experience in sensory overload. A gaggle of voices talking over one another, smells of candles burning and food cooking in the kitchen, people milling around and some wrestling in a family room. Christina felt herself overwhelmed by the shear familiness of it all.

She took a moment to take in her surroundings. The small home had a very lived in feel. From the family pictures that filled the walls along the staircase to the family room filled with a large tv, books and trophies. The dining room was traditional with a large table filled with food, drinks and unique paintings on the wall. Before Christina could move from the entry, she was slammed with a little body.

"You're finally here." The little voice cried out.

"I am." Christina said quizzically and looked around at the smiling faces.

"Oh goodness! Bella, let Christina take a breath and meet you. We've talked about running up to people who don't know us. Remember?" Bella's mom admonished.

"I'm sorry, mum. I was just so excited."

"It's ok...um." Christina stopped realizing she didn't know which cousin she was talking to.

"Are you gonna tell me you don't remember me? Bloody hell, Chris. Have I gotten that old?"

"Imogen?"

"Of course, it's Imogen. Who else is the bossiest bloody person around?" Said the male version of her, while picking up Bella.

"Oh, shut your face, Jude. I'm going to hug you now." Imogen walked up to Christina slowly.

"What the hell are you doing, Gen? She's not a bloody horse or wild animal." Dex yelled while shoving food in his mouth.

Imogen grabbed Christina in a big bear hug. "I've missed you so much, Chris. I'm so happy you are here."

"I've missed you too." Christina leaned back and saw sadness cross Imogen's face with tears in her eyes. Just as quickly the look passed and was replaced with calm.

"Let me introduce you to Bella." Imogen took the squirming girl from Jude and placed her on the floor.

"Well, hello Bella. I am happy to meet you." Christina put her hand out.

Bella ran up to her again and hugged her with all her might. Whispering to Christina, "I'm so happy you are here. My mum has smiled so much since she found out you were coming. I like seeing mummy smile."

Christina looked up to Imogen who had a worried look on her face. "I'm happy to see your mommy too."

"Bella, my sweet, why don't you come help me with the food." Aunt Valentina said to Bella holding her hand out.

"Ooo can I taste too, Nan?" Bella asked while running over to her grandmother.

Christina was grabbed in another bear hug by Jude. "We've all missed you. Glad you're back."

"Is that my little duck?" Said a booming voice in the back.

Pushing through the group that gathered around her was a big man with salt and pepper gray hair that looked almost identical to her father. Wearing a big smile and arms out stretched, Christina strode over to him and wrapped her arms around her uncle.

"Hi, Uncle James." She said into his shoulder.

"Oh, my duck. I've missed you." He leaned back to look into her face. "I'm sorry you found out about your father and my ruse to get you here. You were supposed to find out from me and Valentina. Not from your idiot cousin who can't keep his bloody mouth shut."

All eyes turned toward Dex. "What? I'm sorry. She tricked me with all her American talk."

"God, you're an idiot." Jude said smacking Dex on the back of the head.

"Ow." Dex rubbed the back of his head.

"It's ok, Uncle James. I talked to Aunt Val and I've decided that I will at least stay for the next week. But, after that I may have to go back if there isn't anything for me to do around here. I refuse to take advantage of you guys."

Her uncle got a mischievous look on his face. "Ok kids. You heard your cousin. She just challenged you to convince her to stay."

"This is going to be great."

"I'm totally winning this."

"So many things to do. Where to start?"

Voices all started talking at each other again. "You shouldn't have done that, Uncle James." Christina said looking at her cousins.

"Yes, I did, duck. I want you here and they are a mob you won't be able to resist." He kissed her cheek and walked into the family room.

"Do you like rugby, Christina?" The question came from, who she assumed was Liam. He was shorter than Dex but just as wide.

"I don't know. I've never seen a game."

"WHAT???" The group said at once.

"What? I have heard of it but just haven't been to a game. Is that really big around here?"

For the first time since Christina arrived silence filled the room. Slacked jaws and appalled looks were plastered on their faces. "You can't be serious." Dex finally broke the silence.

Before Christina could answer the front door crashed open. A whirlwind of pink and blue hair dressed in a mini skirt and halter top, typing on her cell phone blew in. Looking up and screeching to a stop the youngest Scott sibling stood looking at everyone.

"What's going on?" Tamsin said.

"Don't you remember what was happening today?" Imogen scolded.

"Not everyone remembers everything you say, Imogen. Especially, Harrison." The last part was barely audible but thanks to the silence sounded like she yelled it.

"That's enough, Tamsin." Jude said to his baby sister. "That was uncalled for. Now, put the phone away and say hi to Christina."

Tamsin turned and looked at Christina and with the look she gave her clearly found her lacking. "I though Americans always wore Christian Louboutin, Coach and Gucci. It doesn't look like you own any of that or would fit in any of it."

Christina felt like she'd been slapped and took a step back. "Not all Americans wear that and its not really my preferred style."

"Clearly." Tamsin said while typing on her phone.

"Tamsin Marie, you will not treat your cousin that way. Now put that bloody phone away before I throw it out into the street." Aunt Valentina said. "The food is ready come and help yourself. Remember your manners and let your cousin go first. I am talking to you Dexter."

She pointed to her oldest son who already had a plate.