Chapter 22

Christina

The beeping of machines was Christina's first clue something was wrong. When she tried to open her eyes it felt as if they were glued shut with crazy glue. Her right eye finally opened and she saw that she was in a hospital room. Her mom and dad were sitting next to her bed talking. She tried to move her head to look around the room, but too late she found out she had a headache from hell.

"Mom? Dad?"

"Oh, Poppin! Thank God you came back to us. We thought we were going to lose you." Her dad took her hand in his.

"Christina." Her mom said softly. Her eyes were glossy with tears.

"Why are you guys here?"

"Your Uncle James called us after it happened. We flew over as soon as we could."

"What are you talking about? What happened?" Christina asked.

"Don't you remember?" Her dad asked.

"I can tell something happened, but it feels just out of my grasp." She said.

"Ok, sweetheart. Do you remember him?" Her mom pointed to someone else in the room.

Christina couldn't open her left eye, so she forced herself to turn her head. Finley.

"What is Finley doing here?"

"He's been here with you since you got out of surgery. He's refused to leave. Poor guy feels responsible."

Staring at Finley, Christina got flashes of him punching someone. Pain in her head and her arm. Heavy weight she couldn't move off of her. Garrett. The moment that name flashed in her memory everything came flooding back.

"What happened?" Christina sobbed. "Why wouldn't he stop? I kept saying stop. I tried to fight him, but I couldn't. He hurt me."

Christina's mom and dad rushed to the bedside to comfort her. "Shh...its ok my darling. Its ok. Finley took care of him. He will never hurt you or anyone else again. You are safe." Her mom said.

"Let it out, Poppin. Its alright, let it out." He held her to him gently being careful of her injuries.

"Christina?" a deep voice said her name. She looked into the sad eyes of Finley.

"Finley." He smiled a sad smile.

"We are going to give you two a moment." Her dad said.

Christina and Finley stared at each other as her parents left.

"I'm so sorry." Finley said.

"Thank you." Christina said at the same time.

Furrowing his brow, Finley asked, "What did you just say?"

Clearing her throat, Christina said, "I said "Thank you". If you hadn't come when you did he would have hurt me more than he did." She ended with a sob.

Falling into the chair next to her bed he held her uninjured hand. "I was late. If I'd been on time he wouldn't have even gotten into the flat. What if I hadn't gotten there when I did? He could have-"

Christina raised her hand and placed two fingers on his lips. "You saved me. It doesn't matter if you were late. What matters is that you came when you did."

"I promised to protect you." Finley choked out.

"You did."

Finley picked of her hand with the cast and kissed her fingertips. "I better tell Ruby you are awake. I don't want her doing to me what she did to that Melanie chit."