Chapter 21

Finley

"Tell me again why you were at Ms. Scott's." The detective asked Finley.

Letting out a frustrated breath, Finley went into his and Christina's relationship. Every detail starting with how they met up until the moment he, Dex and Liam walked into Christina's flat to see Garrett assaulting her. Each retelling was like a hot poker being stabbed into his side. He felt like a failure. He broke his promise.

"Detective, do you have everything now?" James Scott asked.

"I think I do. Don't go too far though Mr. Wilson." Finley nodded and slouched against the plastic waiting room chair.

When the detective walked away, James Scott turned to Finley. "Thank you, son. You saved my poppin. Her parents have been called and will be flying over tomorrow. I fear it would have been for a different reason if you hadn't saved her."

"It wasn't just me, sir. Dex and Liam were there too. In fact, if Liam hadn't pulled me off that fucker the detective would be putting me in chains."

"Dexter and Liam told me exactly what happened. They said it happened so fast they didn't even have time to react. You saved her." He slumped and a tear slid down his cheek. "I didn't act fast enough against him."

"What do you mean?"

"I had a private detective digging into Garrett Reeves. I just knew that Christina's situation wasn't the first time a guy like that would do this. He came to me today with evidence that I was right. I was in a meeting with Augustus when all of this happened."

"He's done something like this before?" Finley balled his hands into fists.

"He's done worse, Finley." Valentina Scott said sitting next to her husband.

Finley sat forward with his elbows on his knees cradling his head in his hands. The memory of seeing Garrett on top of Christina brought a horrible pain in his chest. A tapping on his shoulder brought his attention to the little girl in front of him. She handed him a tissue.

"Are you sad?" she said in her tiny voice.

"Yes."

She nodded. "Are you scared?"

"Yes."

She nodded again and climbed on the chair next to him. She leaned over and gave him a hug, that he imagined she thought was huge. "Whenever I'm scared or sad my mummy always gives me hugs. It makes me feel better. Did it make you feel better?"

"Yes. Thank you."

She hugged him again. "Will Christina be ok?"

He looked at her big eyes and didn't know what to say. "I hope so."

"Me too."

"Bella, leave Finley alone. Come sit over here with Rory and me." Imogen called for her daughter.

Bella gave my hand a squeeze then jumped down from the chair to walk back to her mother.

Finley stared at Imogen and Rory sitting closely together and wondered.

"I'm sorry." Dex said next to him. He took the seat Bella had just vacated.

"What about, Dex?"

Dex sighed. "I thought you were just another wanker using women. I didn't want that for Christina. I see now that you really are a good guy. Thank you for doing what I couldn't."

Before Finley could reply a crash of doors came from down the hall. In came a frantic Ruby. Finley had called and left a short message on Ruby's mobile.