Chapter 29

Finley

"AHHHHHH! Stop! Get off me! Please don't. Please don't."

Finley sat up looking around the room for someone hurting Christina. When he looked down at her he realized she was still sleeping. Still naked, she was thrashing on the bed, fighting an invisible foe.

"Sweetheart."

Shake.

"Christina, dove."

Shake.

"Wake up."

Shake.

Christina took a couple swings at him that he barely managed to dodge. Grabbing her arms, he held them to her sides as gently as possible. Shaking her gently, he managed to wake her from her nightmare.

"What are you doing?" She asked as he let her go.

"You were having a nightmare."

Christina looked shocked. Her face crumpled, and she rolled away from him burying her face in the pillow. She sobbed uncontrollably.

"What is wrong, dove?" He tried to turn her back to him. She resisted and shook her head.

Christina mumbled something, between sobs, he couldn't understand.

"I can't understand you, sweetheart. Please tell me what's wrong."

She lay crying into the pillow. When her tears dried up she turned toward him. Her face was red, and tear stained. He tried to pull her closer to him. "I'm so embarrassed and mad." She said into his chest.

"Why?"

"I didn't mean to fall asleep here."

"I'm glad you did, but that doesn't explain why you are embarrassed."

She sighed and sat up. "There hasn't been a night I haven't had the same nightmare since the...uh...incident."

Finley nodded.

"This isn't something you should have to deal with."

"Why do you say that?"

"It's too early in our relationship. I don't even know if this is a relationship or just something to get each other out of our systems."

He furrowed his brow. "This is a relationship, Christina." He paused and looked at her. "At least to me it is."

"I understand that."

"Do you? Because I need to know if you are in this with me." Finley said.

Christina looked at her nails and settled her breathing. He felt his world tilt. If she didn't care for him back, he didn't know what he was going to do. He crossed his arms to hide his shaking hands.

"I care very much about you, Finley. Its, just, you could have your pick of any woman. You don't have to deal with a broken one." She kept her face down hiding behind her hair.

"A broken one? Do you know what I see when I see you?"

She shook her head still refusing to meet his eyes.

Finley curled a finger under her chin forcing her to meet his eyes. "When I look at you I don't see someone who is broken. I don't see a victim." He swallowed past the memories of that day. "I see a survivor. A warrior who fought off a guy who was bigger and stronger. That's who I see. That's the woman I've fallen in love with."

Tears spilled from her eyes. "He's still here." She pointed to her head.

"I know, dove. He won't always be there. We will get through this together." Finley leaned away from Christina. "That is if you want me around."

Christina threw her arms around his neck. "Of course, I want you. I'm in love with you too." She whispered.

Finley both overjoyed and saddened held Christina while she fell back asleep. The joy of the fact that she loved him too had him bursting. However, memories assaulted him. He hated that she was going to have to continue to deal with this. All he wanted to do was protect her from that pain.

***

"We need to stop at my apartment, so I can get a change of clothes." Christina said from the passenger seat.

"Alright, dove."

"Should I bring something? I feel like I should bring something." Christina fidgeted. She was nervous going to his parent's for brunch.

Reaching over he gave her hand a squeeze. "It will be fine. Don't be nervous."

"I'm not nervous." She said as he pulled to stop in front of her building.

"Sure, you aren't. Let's get your clothes then be on our way. It takes a bit of time to get there."

"Ok. Just give me a few minutes."

While Christina got ready, Finley waited on the couch. He looked around the room for the first time. It was warm and homey. Pictures of Christina when she was little holding hands with another little girl with too big glasses on her face. It had to be Ruby. Graduations, picnics and other adventures, he envied their time together. One picture drew his attention more than any other. Picking it up from the table in front of him. It was an older photo. Two young couples with six children gathered together in front of a house.

"Hello, Finley." Ruby shuffled out of her bedroom.

"How are you doing, Ruby?"

She shrugged and looked at her phone. "He's been texting non-stop. I think he even came by last night, but I was in my room with a bottle of wine."

"I'm sorry he hurt you. It was a shitty thing for him to do."

"Can I ask you a question?"

Finley looked around for Christina then turned his attention back to Ruby. "Sure."

"Did you know he did that?"

"I didn't. That week I spent all my time in my room with Rory. Killing time to talk to Christina."

Ruby smiled a sad smile.

"Ruby?" Christina asked.

"I'm sorry I ruined your night last night." Ruby stood and went over to Christina. The two embraced in only a way two lifelong best friends could.

"You didn't ruin anything. I'm sorry my cousin is an idiot. I wish I'd never introduced the two of you."

Ruby put her hand on Christina's arm. "Don't say that. He's an idiot but so am I. I just have to make the decision if I can forgive a cheater."

Christina nodded. "Are you going to be ok today?"

"Yes. I have work I can do. You know me, I bounce back." Ruby swallowed back the emotions she was feeling.

"I know, sweetie. Call me if you need me." Christina walked over to the door grabbing her coat off the hook.

Finley walked over to the door to escort her out. He took the time to admire the woman in front of him. She wore a sweater dress with tall boots. A scarf covered her hair. Admiring her was his favorite past time. She took his breath away.

"Ready?" She said noticing he was just standing there staring.

"To go with you? Always." Taking her hand, he kissed the back then hooked her arm with his.