Chapter 18

Christina

Finley drove them to a small restaurant out of town. The short drive didn't allow for much conversation. He was driving a sensible sedan instead of his normal sports car. He was trying to be very low key. The sexual tension in the car was palpable. Any time Christina adjusted in her seat she saw him grab the steering wheel tighter. So much for mildly sexy. When they arrived at the restaurant he used the valet parking and ran around the car to open her door. When he helped her out of the car she could smell his cologne of teak, spice and sexy man mixed together. As she stepped toward the restaurant she thought she heard him take a deep breath but when she looked at him face was impassive.

The small high end restaurant was unimposing on the outside. Inside it was all elegance and opulence. A small quartet of musicians were stationed in the middle of the restaurant. All tables angled so patrons could easily see them playing. The room was dimly lit. When the hostess escorted them to a private corner table Christina had to be careful to pay attention to not run into anyone. Finley kept his hand on her lower back while they wove through the tables. Finley pulled her chair out for her.

"Thank you." She said quietly. Finley nodded with a smile.

"You look stunning tonight." Finley said after taking his seat.

Christina blushed. "You don't look so bad yourself."

Finley's smile spelled sex. Without another word they both looked at the menus in front of them. When the waitress arrived they ordered wine. They both silently looked at the menu again. Christina decided on the Chicken Florentine. Lowering her menu she saw Finley stared at her.

"What?"

"Oh nothing." He smirked.

The waitress brought their wine. Taking their orders of chicken Florentine for Christina and steak for Finley, the waitress scurried off. Sipping at her wine, Christina observed the musicians.

"So, why was there a crowd at your flat tonight?" Finley asked.

"Well, it was supposed to just be Ruby, but apparently she called Imogen and she had Dex bring her over. Sorry about Dex by the way."

"It's fine. He doesn't trust me. I understand. Though I want you to know I'd never hurt you, Christina."

Christina nodded and took a sip of wine. "Why is everyone under the impression you would hurt me?"

Finley sighed. "Since I've been on the Wyverns, I haven't been the most monogamous guy. I've enjoyed the fame and the perks that come with that."

"The women?"

"Yes. The women have always been easy. I've never led anyone on about relationships but that doesn't mean some of them didn't get ideas. I ended up getting a bit of a reputation of being a hump'em and dump'em kind of guy."

"That's not what you want with me?" Christina wanted to slap her mouth when the words popped out.

"No. I can't explain it but I haven't wanted anything other than sex with a woman in years. I am drawn to you and can't help myself. I tried the friends but I can't. I want more. " His voice went lower and said, "Not that I don't want sex with you. I definitely want that too." Christina choked on her wine.

"Don't we look cozy." A deep southern accent drew her attention.

"Garrett." Christina whispered.

"Hello, sweetness." Garrett said leaning down and kissing her cheek.

Finley's brow furrowed and looked confused. "Can I help you?" He said.