Chapter Forty

OH MY GOODNESS!!! WE ARE ACTUALLY GETTING CLOSE TO THE CLIMAX 😱😱😱

Okay so, Pakeezah is reading a book. What's the title? 😏

***************

PAKEEZAH's POV

"Thehro, Main Tumhein ab tumhara haath tod kar dikhata hoon. Mois ne usse galiyaan dete hue, lounge main pade Ek Racket ko utha liye—" I closed the book instantly as my eyes widened at the words I was reading. Why are boys always so angry, hitting each other or hurting someone else around them? Inn logo ka temper!

A strangely familiar feeling trickled down my back as I looked up at the crowd. Not just fifteen children but even adults were curiously staring at me. This library cafeteria, where my voice was echoing seconds ago, felt small all of a sudden.

"Let's continue tomorrow?" I hesitated as I looked away from all the impatient eyes and found Daisy's. Someone groaned, but I was too nervous to read ahead.

"Y-yes, that's fine, dear!" Daisy stood up from her chair and smiled, "it's your first day. I know the feeling, it's nerve-racking!" She chuckled, shaking her head and I heaved a sigh of relief.

Clutching the book against my chest, I headed 'home.' The place where I now stay. Just Stay! I can't say I live there anymore because this, my life, doesn't feel like it's worth living anymore!

Hussain and I haven't talked since that night. The next morning when I woke, he was already done to work and then I barely ever saw him after that. He didn't ask any questions, and I didn't bother saying anything. Now I leave his dinner on the dining table and find his dishes in the sink the next morning. That's how I make sure we were still living under the same roof.

Hussain was supposed to be home today, so I left a note for him on the fridge about the library. I had invited him and hoped he would come. That was supposed to be the last thing that would have given me hope that things could still get better between us. But he didn't.

Hussain's car was still parked in the driveway, which meant he was at home. He was awake, I could tell because the letters and newspaper from the letterbox were missing. Still, without bothering to knock on the door, I pulled out my keys and unlocked the main entrance. Initially, I decided to avoid eye contact, keep my head low and run to my room as quickly as possible but before I could, I realised Hussain was talking to someone.

"Pakeezah!" Someone shrieked just when I tried to sneak around the lounge area. I stopped instantly and forced a smile as I turned around.

"Hey!" Yasmeen smiled at me as She came forward to hug me, "how have you been? It's been so long!" I kept the smile still in place while she talked to me as if we were good friends.

"Hello bhabhi!" Adeel got up from the couch to greet me, and I nodded in his direction to acknowledge him.

"How are you guys?" I asked them as I walked back to the couch with Yasmeen and sat down beside her, well aware of a pair of eyes that was intensely following my every move.

"Not so good," Yasmeen sighed, "my parents are coming for my sister's wedding shopping. They think I live in a decent house. They want to stay with me, but I can't tell them I live in an apartment with three other people."

"Which, by the way, includes a guy," Adeel muttered, not bothering to look up.

"They think?" I repeated.

"Well, I told them that," Yasmeen sighed, "they wanted me to go back to New York so I made up a lie about how well I was doing when in reality, I can barely manage to pay one-fourth of our rent and my other expenses with whatever I earn."

Bezubaan Ishq #Wattys2019 #MissionDesiजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें