15. The Race

Wala sa sariling pumasok ng kuwarto si Aya. She was still wondering if her assumption was right. Yuna Smith. Could it be her that Alexa saw? She knew for a fact that Yuna loved to join races. Physically-active din ito kagaya ni Alexa. It was what the red-head would do to keep in shape. And in fact, almost all the run she had joined in the past was together with Yuna. The red-head was the one who encouraged her to.

Aya's eyes turned at the bed. A memory came into her mind. Her and Yuna on that same bed --- so happy and in love. Aya shook her head vigorously, shaking the thought away.

'Don't go there again, Aya. It was long over. She's happy with somebody else now!' Aya thought angrily to herself.

Needle-like pain pricked her heart, and a storm was forming around her eyes. Aya felt her knees weakened, so she leaned a hand on the wall for support. She was still wearing her running-gear with a jacket draped over it. She had no time to change when Alexa hastily dragged her out of the complex.

Bared knees touched the floor, her back on the wall. Droplets of water trickled down her exposed legs. Aya was wearing a spandex shorts, so her tears drenched her bare skin.

The storm raged silently. Aya wished it would wash-away her pain, but it subsided just for a while, only to come back again.

----

"Umiyak ka na naman ba?" Aya's mother pried.

Aya was having an early breakfast. It was only 4.00AM but her mother always took the time to prepare food for her.

Aya glanced at her mother from the food she was eating. Her mother was seated on her right. "Hindi ho... napuyat lang po ako kagabi," she responded in denial. Aya took a spoonful of her meal into her mouth and forced it inside her throat.

"Ako pa ba ang pagsisinungalingan mo? Ako ang nanay mo, kaya alam ko kung nagsasabi ka ng totoo o hindi," Belen stated, unconvinced.

Aya got silent. She couldn't hide anything from her mother. Lying wasn't her thing. And her mother always caught her, anyway.

"Hanggang ngayon ba naman, iniiyakan mo pa rin ang Yuna na 'yan?" Sermon ng ina.

Aya totally lost her appetite. Must her mother really had to utter Yuna's name? Aya put down her spoon and fork. "Papasok na po ako, 'Ma," she said languidly, pushing her plate forward.

Aya's mother frowned. "Hindi ba't kakasimula mo pa lamang kumain? Hindi mo pa nga nauubos iyang nasa plato mo," she stated and pointed at Aya's food.

Aya internally rolled her eyes. She would have eaten properly if her mother didn't start questioning her. Aya wanted to snap at her mother, but that would be too disrespectful. She wasn't raised like that.

"Nawalan na ho ako ng gana. Sige po," Aya responded in a bland tone.

Aya was about to stand but her mother stopped her, gripping her arm.

"Maupo ka," the old woman commanded with authority in her voice.

Aya complied. Somehow, she didn't want to upset her mother.

Aya's mother sighed. "Huwag sanang sasama ang loob mo sa 'kin. Alam mo namang nag-aalala lang ako sa 'yo," Belen stated in a much calmer and softer tone. Worry lines etched the old woman's forehead.

Aya shifted her eyes away from her mother's gloomy ones. "Alam ko naman po 'yun," Aya answered in a low voice. "But you bringing up Yuna won't help me forget," she muttered in a pained voice.

Aya's mother sighed again. "Kung gayon ay dapat mo din iyang gawin sa sarili mo. Huwag mo na siyang isipin pa. Gusto ko laang na maging maayos ka na, anak. Dapat mo na siyang kalimutan. Halos dalawang buwan na rin---"