※※ P A R T O N E | 1. ※※

If you're new here, this is going to seem fast-paced because all the history of these two is in Darker Than Sin - Darker Than Sin is based around two characters: Ellie and Haze. Ok. Cool. Hope u enjoy xo

Three Years Later

Callum's POV:

As I take the path to school that I do each morning, I shove my sleeves up to my elbows. The weather in this town is bipolar, I swear. One minute, you're draped in layers, with your teeth chattering, then you're sweating the next.

As I reach Grant's house, he's already walking down his driveway, holding a coffee tin for himself and one for me. I grin, taking it from him.

"Thanks," I say, the warmth of the cup penetrating my hand.

I want to laugh. Ellie did this exact walk to school for years, swapping Kai for Grant and Heidi for my mate, Thomas. It's a small town built on routine. We're all the same.

"When are tryouts?" Grant asks me as we walk towards Thomas'. The wind is harsh on my cheeks and I yank my beanie down over the tips of my ears.

"It'll be in the next few weeks, surely," I reply.

Grant's the team captain of Alwood's football team, but I'm the one he comes to about basic questions, the things we're meant to go to him for. I'm not exactly built for football, but I play nonetheless. It's easier to fit in and play than not.

Thomas is on the phone when we reach his gate. Grant and I roll our eyes at each other. It would be one of his girlfriends. He has three and we have a theory they've all just found out about each other.

He hangs up the phone and runs a hand through his streaked hair. "Women," he sighs.

"Mmhmm," Grant nods in agreement while I stay silent.

I guess I've known I was gay from a young age. I first realised it when I'd go into Ellie's room and find the posters of male celebrities much more appealing than the women. The moment, I truly realised, was with Haze's brother, Jake. He changed everything.

"Yo," Thomas says obnoxiously, jamming a finger into my shoulder. "Anybody home?"

"Huh?" I ask.

This happens a lot. My mind wanders back to the boy who changed everything. It broke me when he moved. When Haze and Ellie moved to Westcom, Jake relocated to a foster family closer to his brother. He didn't even say goodbye to me. After everything. I tried reaching out to him through Ellie, as he didn't have a phone back then and I wasn't allowed any social media. In the end, I gave up. He wanted nothing to do with me. I had to move on.

But here I am, three years later, still thinking about him. I want to hate him. I seriously do. But I don't.

Grant knows. We've never had the conversation, but a few looks and comments he's made indicate he might know. I really should just tell him. He's my best friend. I don't think he would treat me any differently. But Thomas, well, that's different. Thomas is a guy. We're all guys, but I mean he's a real, true blue guy. He'd give me a hard time. I'd be able to handle it, but I just don't want to. It's great how things are and honestly, no guy has really caught my attention since Jake, anyway.

We enter through the front gate of the school and I can't help but sigh. Another day in paradise.

My phone buzzes. I withdraw it, ignoring the no phone signs that are plastered on every wall.

Ellie: Hey! I'm heading home for the weekend. Let's catch up? Xx

I quickly type a response. I love it when Ellie comes home. The house is quiet without her. We went from a full family to just Ma and me in a blink. The place is not the same, and honestly? It's lonely. Ma has started dating again. A guy named Lewis. He's nice. Bit of a try-hard sometimes, but nice. Treats her better than my old man did, which is always a good thing.

Upon hearing the click of heels, I quickly dump my phone back into my pocket.

"I'm out," I hear Thomas say, before legging it.

"Huh?" I ask, just to see Grant bailing as well.

"Callum!" I hear Mrs Grainger call.

I groan. 

I slowly turn and don't bother to hide the look of dread on my face.

"Glad I caught you," she beams and I cringe when I see the red lines of her lipstick across her front teeth. "I need a favour."

Here we go. There's always a favour. Ellie told me she used to always ask her to do tasks, too. She must like to pick on our family.

"Right," I say warily.

"We have a new student I'd like you to show around. Well, he's a returning student, but it's been years."

I exhale. "Sure."

"Excellent! He's in the office," she pats my arm and trots away.

Moodily, I throw my container into my locker and make my way to the office. I always get chosen to show the new kids around.

I shove open the door and my heart slams against my chest.

A boy stands there. He's tall. I blink. He looks so much like Haze. He has long, unruly hair that's tied back, with a beanie planted on top. He has a sleeve tattoo down his left arm. Dark, vicious swirls of ink cover every inch of skin. His piercing blue eyes look up and meet mine.

He leans onto his elbow, a lazy smirk covering his face.

"Cal," Jake drawls, arrogance gleaming from him. "Remember me?"

-------------------

Thoughts?