3.

hi. sorry. life is very hectic. will try to write more as soon as i can. sowie xxxxx

Callum's POV:

Strips of sunlight bleed between the blinds, causing golden stripes to flare across the skin of Jake, who lays on his side next to me. My eyes roam over his freckled shoulders, sharp bones and smooth skin. I can't resist any longer. I reach out and gently run my fingers down his back.

He lets out a sluggish moan, rolling so that we're facing. His eyes are droopy as he blinks awake.

"Morning boyfriend," I say quietly, my thumb caressing his lower lip.

"G'morning," he mumbles.

"I've missed this."

"What?" he yawns.

"Waking up beside my best friend."

"You used to wake up beside Grant?" Jake jokes.

I roll my eyes. "Wow."

"What are we going to do today?" he asks.

"I have a plan."

"What is it?" he asks.

"It's a surprise. Close your eyes."

"Why?"

"Because the plan starts now," I grin, crawling over the top of him and pinning his arms over his head.

"Eyes are closing," he smirks as they flutter shut.

"Sit back and relax," I whisper, kissing the tip of his nose. "Our day is just beginning."

***

Turns out, Jake actually had a plan.

We cruise along one of the old country back roads where the bumps in the road almost make you hit your head on the roof and weeds are breaking through the cracks. The humid air is pouring through the wound-down windows. I settle back into the passenger seat, admiring Jake. I'm not quite sure how I survived almost a year without him.

"Where are we going?" I ask again.

"Quit it," he dismisses me.

I reach out and touch my hand to his thigh gently. He removes a hand from the steering wheel to place it over mine. It calms me.

I push my questions to the back of my mind and let myself relax. I inch the volume up and let myself enjoy this moment. Here, with Jake, back home.

We drive for another hour before we turn off the road and head down several sharp and winding roads. Roads with no lines down the sides or middle. After a series of steep hills roads so narrow, I thought we might actually come over the edge, we manage to make it to the destination.

"Here," he announces, pulling over to a rough patch of grass and turning the engine off. I climb out of the car and get blasted with the crisp air of being higher in the world than usual. I run my hand through my hair as I peer out at the mass of trees and rocks.

"This is cool," I say rather understatedly.

Jake appears at my side holding socks and my runners. I arch a questioning brow and take them. We silently remove our thongs and replace them with something a little sturdier.