Callum Browning - Session One - 14.06.2019 - 11am

Spotify playlist is available by searching 'a touch of sin' and/or searching my username: laurenj.22 

Cover by - me lol

Dr Martin is young. Way younger than I expected. I guess I don't know what to expect when I think of a counsellor. I think of someone experienced, old and honestly, a little wrinkly. That's movie stereotypes for you.

Her smile is warm. The kind of smile that forces your own to come out, whether you want it to or not.

"How are you feeling?" she questions.

"Overwhelmed, exposed, confused, tired," I shrug. "The list goes on."

"Overwhelmed?"

"I didn't expect to see him," I say, inclining my head to the door. "Jake."

She nods. I don't know if she's allowed to acknowledge that she knows about us because I don't know if that would be revealing some of their session. I don't know how any of this works, but I'm not hiding the fact that I know she knows. It's a small town, I should have known this would happen.

"How do you feel seeing him here? Other than surprised?"

"I guess I'm more stuck on how emotional he was. And the fact that he obviously talked about us to you, when he's not the type to discuss his life with anyone," I shake my head, simply perplexed. "I'm also very glad he was here. This will do him the world of good. Me too, probably."

"I hope so," she smiles. "Callum, is that what you'd like to discuss today? Your relationship with Jake?"

"That's the biggest issue in my life, so yeah, probably a good idea. Although my principal seems to think I'm having a quarter-life-crisis due to my father's death three years ago."

"Do you think you've dealt with the death of your father?" she asks.

"How does someone 'deal' with their dad being burned alive?" I sling-shot back, throwing my hands up cluelessly. "You don't. You have to accept the shitty situation and continue to live your life the best way you know how."

She opens her mouth to respond but I keep barrelling through.

"It was hard, of course. But things weren't okay before that and now they are," I hover my hands in front of me in a stop signal, feeling a little panicked at going down this path, for some reason. "Actually, I don't want to talk about this."

"Okay, Callum, that's fine. Always happy to revisit if you change your mind."

"I don't know what to say," I fall back into the chair and slump.

"Tell me about yourself."

"Um, I'm sixteen, seventeen soon. I like to surf, play football, hang with my family, take my dog for runs. I'm happy – I really am. I have great friends; an amazing family and I find school easy. Life is good."